• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescues Centres = Help/Advice needed

cpayne

Warren Veteran
Im about to start helping out at a rescue. It is suppose to be to house rabbits temporarily and it's mainly rabbits that would have been put down. They are in their hutches 24/7 and never get to run around. One rabbit has been there for a year.

I hate the thought of them not having any freedom and wondered if it is was worth contacting another rescue so that they could maybe swap a few rabbits over, so that at least all rabbits get a run around. Do you think this is going to be a lot of hassle and if you own a rescue and someone suggested that, would you say yes!

Any advice grateully received. I've advertised a few rabbits on here, just want them to have a bit of freedom while they are waiting for a loving home.

what will the people who run the rescue think, if you turn up and start re-arranging their lives? perhaps slowly would be a good way to move on this one. first get comfortable helping out, then start making gentle suggestions.

I'm certainly not going to say anything, just wondered if it was a feasible idea or not. Just wanted advice from here.

Once we take an animal in, we endeavour to give it the best possible life from that point onwards.

I don't think you'd find any rescue who would happily swap their rescued babies to take the place of one living in worse conditions..

Its great that you're helping a rescue, and it will be heartbreaking to see rabbits in confided accommodation, but as the above poster stated, take your time, get a feel for how things are run, show them that you have some commitment, and offer to do something positive like raise the funds to get runs for the rabbits, or better still build them if you're able :D

The rabbits are kept in a shed so not sure what room she has in her garden for runs, will no doubt find out.

I'm advertising them at the moment as don't have a lot of spare time as out the house working for 12 hours 5 days a week but can help with the computer side too as they don't have time to advertise a lot. Hopefully will find a few homes.

Apparently the buns aren't all vaccinated. Could I pass any disease/illness on to my rabbit who is vaccinated? I know even though she's had the myxi jab she can still get it.

Perhaps, once you are trusted and known by the person running the rescue, you could set up some sort of 'bunny holiday'. Whereby one rabbit (or pair of buns) goes to somewhere else for a week or two with a run so they can spend some time in a bigger area. You might be able to find somebody who would volunteer to do this, perhaps somebody who loves rabbits but cant own them for whatever reason.

Once we take an animal in, we endeavour to give it the best possible life from that point onwards.

I don't think you'd find any rescue who would happily swap their rescued babies to take the place of one living in worse conditions..

Its great that you're helping a rescue, and it will be heartbreaking to see rabbits in confided accommodation, but as the above poster stated, take your time, get a feel for how things are run, show them that you have some commitment, and offer to do something positive like raise the funds to get runs for the rabbits, or better still build them if you're able :D

this ^^

Someone very kindly has offered to take about 6 rabbits, they rehome rabbits too in the same area but the rabbits get lots of out time and are in bigger hutches. It sounds a lovely place for rabbits to be and I'm so thankful to them. The rescue centre lady also thinks it's better they go to the new place so they get some freedom. So happy for the little rabbits, the one that has been there a year is going to go hopefully and she has also kindly referred a couple on who wanted a bonded pair, so maybe a home for another two as well.

That is great news that you are going to be helping out and have got the rabbits best interests at heart. Maybe you could suggest working out a rota so that the rabbits get some time out each day to run about and play. I am always looking for 'special needs' rabbits no matter how bad their problems are, and so if you come across anything such as this, would you let me know please.

Back