• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So much negativity...getting really fed up now *rant*

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
Dont know if there's a point with this really, just need to rant :(

As some of you might know, I'm heading off to Uni at the end of August/beginning of September. I haven't found anywhere to stay yet, but I'm hoping to be able to rent a small flat. Mum knows someone that has one & they've basically said they'll let me rent it, but they're still discussing what sort of money they want for the rent. If its too much I won't be able to as I'll be taking a student loan & can't realistically spend too much of that just on accommodation.

The thing is, I want to bring my bunnies. The thought of leaving them here makes me feel sick, I can't do it. I'm afraid that they wouldnt be cared for properly, and with Boris having chronic snuffles I dread to think what could happen to him when if I went. My mum literally tried to convince me for weeks that he was fine when he was far from it, she just couldn't see it. And this scares me. She wouldn't be spending as much time with them as I have, which is dangerous as with Boris it's all about picking up on the little things before it gets worse.

Some of you will also know that there are no rabbit savvy vets where I'm currently at. Thats another reason why I feel that leaving them here would be a risk. If one of them got ill, the vets here wouldn't be able to do ANYTHING. And my mum doesn't know enough about rabbits to know what to do herself (if there was something she could do). Where I'm going, there are plenty of rabbit savvy vets. One of them is said to be the best in the country when it comes to exotic animals. That means I could finally get Bella spayed, and if Boris had a relapse of snuffles I could count on it being treated correctly. We don't have that here.

For these reasons I'm trying very hard to bring the bunnies with me. I'm planning what the best setup would be, thinking of ways to even bunny proof a small flat so they can be free range, looking up vets in the area as well as pet shops, but if I so much as mention this to my parents I get bashed. They keep telling me how silly I am for wanting to bring the buns with me and I should just not care about them because they're ruining my life etc. I've tried to explain to them WHY I don't want to leave them but they're convinced that having them is stopping me from living my life & I'd be better off without having to worry about them :? This is making me so upset, because I seriously thought that my family, of all people, might understand. I love my bunnies and want what's best for them, but I'm certainly not letting them get in the way of how I want to live my life. That's just ridiculous. I can't believe they think that :(

Do you think I'm being silly for wanting to bring them along? Should I...stop caring? :cry:

My suggestion would be that rather than going in uni accommodation or renting an entire property on your own, you look at finding lodgings with someone. If you go on websites such as easy room mate (or something like gumtree) you can advertise for a room and state you have rabbits. When I was looking I found most people don't mind an outdoor rabbit, an indoor rabbit is a bit harder but at least it keeps you costs low.
The other option is to rent a flat and then you advertise for a roommate/ lodger. As the original tenant you would just say you have pet rabbits when you advertise.

Oh what a worry for you :( you are a fantastic bunny owner and you are only trying to do the right thing. You can't just stop caring for and loving your buns! If it was me I would be doing exactly the same, don't give in. If there is a way that they can go with you, that would be fabulous, especially with the better veterinary care :D go for it girl! Xx

My suggestion would be that rather than going in uni accommodation or renting an entire property on your own, you look at finding lodgings with someone. If you go on websites such as easy room mate (or something like gumtree) you can advertise for a room and state you have rabbits. When I was looking I found most people don't mind an outdoor rabbit, an indoor rabbit is a bit harder but at least it keeps you costs low.
The other option is to rent a flat and then you advertise for a roommate/ lodger. As the original tenant you would just say you have pet rabbits when you advertise.

Just to add you would need the landlords permission to sublet a room in a rented property.

Thank you. Because I was accepted late, there isn't any actual Uni accommodation left, so I'm mainly looking into renting privately. This is good because most people are ok with pets, but some aren't. I have no idea what the people mum knows would think about it, but I'm wondering if they might let me keep them there if I say they'll be kept in a cage (which won't be a lie really, but they don't have to know how big the cage is. This flat is relatively big too so there should be enough space for them. And if not, I could make room (who needs a kitchen table? ;)). It's pretty likely that I will find someplace where it's fine to bring the buns.....what I don't understand is why everyone's so negative about it :( they just don't understand. Mum keeps saying that I should worry less about the buns & do what will make me happy.....but it won't matter, I could live in a perfect flat with 5 rooms but without the bunnies, I'd be miserable. I'd spend every minute worrying about them and praying to God they were alive and well :( How would that make me happy?

Just to add you would need the landlords permission to sublet a room in a rented property.

In the UK yes, but I have no idea if this applies in Sweden? Plus most people who are looking for a lodger own and live in the house and are just looking to make some extra money renting out a room.

what I don't understand is why everyone's so negative about it :( they just don't understand. Mum keeps saying that I should worry less about the buns & do what will make me happy.....but it won't matter, I could live in a perfect flat with 5 rooms but without the bunnies, I'd be miserable. I'd spend every minute worrying about them and praying to God they were alive and well :( How would that make me happy?

Maybe she is just trying to get you to worry less? I mean if the bunnies would be fine and looked after staying with your mum if may not be such a bad idea to leave them behind initially. You could take somewhere on a temp basis and once you're at uni keep looking for a house/ room that you can move into with the buns. Usually quite a few rooms become available around Christmas because people will decide they don't like their course or uni and drop out. If would be a shame if you ended up not going or getting yourself so stressed that your first term goes really badly.
If you're mum is suggesting you should just get rid of the rabbits then I understand why that would be upsetting you more. Sometimes what's sensible seems much worse just because it's against what you want in your heart but it's not always as bad as it seems. xxx

In the UK yes, but I have no idea if this applies in Sweden? Plus most people who are looking for a lodger own and live in the house and are just looking to make some extra money renting out a room.

I think it's the same over here. If you OWN the property it's fine, but if you rent it you need permission from the landlord :wave:

I just don't know. It stresses me out so much, not knowing what will happen. Even if I do find somewhere to stay where I'll be able to keep the buns, I can't bring them straight away. I'll need to sort out their accommodation etc. first. But that might only be a few weeks at the most. The thought of having to leave them here for months simply terrifies me. And it's not just that I don't want to be without them, I'm genuinely concerned about Boris' health. If he gets a relapse of snuffles he goes downhill so quickly. I'm aware that the stress of moving could also cause him to get poorly, but then I'd at least have a good reliable vet nearby at the new place. And then there's the matter of getting Bella spayed, which is not doable here. She's 3 years old and I want it done as soon as possible.

Mum doesn't want me to get rid of them no, she says she'd be willing to look after them for a while until I get settled/find a place where I can keep them, but she works a lot and I'm so worried that they wouldn't be cared for properly. Maybe in the beginning, but as the weeks passed she'd get fed up with it and only do it half-heartedly. It's how she works. My mum is great and I love her, but rabbits aren't as easy to look after as she thinks and I'm not sure she realises just how much work they can be.

She has also suggested that I bring only one of them to begin with, which is completely out of the question. It'd just be cruel on them both.

Back