• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Someone I know...

Cari

Warren Veteran
Someone I know has a 6 yr old male.Uncastrated,unvacced and single.
His cage is less than 4 foot,in a shed, no hay,museli food and fed carrot,apple etc.
She does all the stuff we on here know not to and try as i might, I cant educate her.

The bunny constantly has a messy bottom and lays in his own excrement.
She baths him...

I know if I report her, she will know its me.The one thing Im doing is giving my own old cage..I wanted to keep it but this is a needy case.
Im also giving some SS and hay.

In bits...So sad.and I feel helpless, despite my efforts to try to educate...
Hes got this far.....poor boy.

Could you print off some RWA leaflets and give them to her? Well done on trying to help though - sometimes the 'stuck record' method works a treat :lol:.

Its good to know your trying to help, however unless she intends to change permanently on to SS and you can be sure she will graduate the change over I wouldn't give her that. If he's been on the muesli for so long her changing him on to SS for a few days/ weeks may cause stasis. A good pack/ pile of hay would be a better prezzie. :thumb:

eta, can you get hold of hay bales and would she have room to store them? If so you could suggest it as a cheap alternative bedding that may make him less messy so she doesn't have to bath him as much. I know I get bales for £4.50 that last me a week with 9 buns, so should last 1 bun at least 6 weeks.

Last edited:
you'll be busy with all this advice especially as you are helping our that other lady with her does..you ought to start charging!!:lol:

I know how you feel - my cousins have a lone unspayed, unvacs doe which is about 6 now and shut in a 3 foot hutch most of the time (it gets put into a 6x4 run on nice days when they are home, which means not at all right through the winter) :(
Theirs has muesli too, though it does have hay, and also a messy bottom.

I have tried and tried, but got nowhere - they just don't see the problem - that's how rabbits are kept isn't it? :(
I even got a 6x2 hutch with attached run and offered it free to them, but they gave the excuse that they didn't have enough space near the house, and they didn't want to move her away as she'd be lonely! They gave away the kids playhouse too, and when I suggested they use that for rabbit, they said they thought it wouldn't be 'safe' for her on the ground due to predators. They honestly think they are doing what's best! sometimes, there just isn't anything you can do.

I know how heartbreaking it is - it plays on my mind daily, and I try not to visit now as it just upsets me. I guess all you can do is focus your time/energy/money on those you CAN help.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Just to add - I have posted this on behalf of someone else who wanted to remain anonymous as they weren't sure if their friend was a member or not. I'm sure they are reading though and will take on board all your advice.

Back