• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mini Rex owners! (And anyone else who wants to see babies!)

courtneydayle

Alpha Buck
Have any tips for when I get him/her? They were just born yesterday or the day before, so it'll be 2 months before I get him at least. Thanks!

409595_4421301500635_347016483_n1.jpg

OMG! they are amazing the look like tiny aliens! fab..;);):love: and sorry i havent got any tips because i don't have any mini rex's but i just wanted to say they are fab!

Do mini rexes suffer from heart problems and sore hocks, like their bigger relatives? I don't think they often get sore hocks because of the reduced weight but I'd still find out some information.

My mini has sore hocks if not kept an eye on. I partly think that's because she's a rescue though and kept in poor conditions previously.

Just make sure you have everything set up for the baby and remember when they are small they can get themselves in all sorts of problematic places. Is s/he going to be indoors or outdoors? I would also consider getting a same sex pair and have them neutered later on.
Will the baby be already vaccinated or will you need to get that done? Do you know of a local rabbit savvy vet?
Have you calculated costs for the first few months? vaccinations can be anywhere between £20 and £60 for both myxi and vhd or the combined, neutering can be anywhere from £40 to £100.

aww, they're really cute. I love the speckles on them! I absolutely love mini rexes, I have one myself, his name's Jack.

Have you calculated costs for the first few months? vaccinations can be anywhere between £20 and £60 for both myxi and vhd or the combined, neutering can be anywhere from £40 to £100.

The OP is in the US, so no vaccinations :)

ah so they are, I must remember to check these things! :lol:
eta the OP can probs scrap what I said all together, as I have now woken up a bit more and I realise you already have rabbits and stuff, I'm not sure why I didn't recognise you name. In my defence I didn't sleep very well. xx

Last edited:
My mini has sore hocks if not kept an eye on. I partly think that's because she's a rescue though and kept in poor conditions previously.

Just make sure you have everything set up for the baby and remember when they are small they can get themselves in all sorts of problematic places. Is s/he going to be indoors or outdoors? I would also consider getting a same sex pair and have them neutered later on.
Will the baby be already vaccinated or will you need to get that done? Do you know of a local rabbit savvy vet?

(S)he'll be an indoor bun, on carpet with a dog crate and run in the corner of my room. The holes in the wire are small enough that I don't think (s)he'd be able to get out. No on the spaying/neutering. It'll be a papered rabbit so I might look into breeding later on if I get it a partner. I only have enough for one rabbit right now as the woman is charging quite a bit for this one ($35). We have rabbits and so I'll have all the equipment prepared, just have to set the pen up again when it's closer. I'm going to make him a bed. I've got some really cute fabric and I'm good with a sewing machine. All I really need to get him now is toys and things. Have any of you used the cute little leashes I've seen in some pet stores?

aww, they're really cute. I love the speckles on them! I absolutely love mini rexes, I have one myself, his name's Jack.

The OP is in the US, so no vaccinations :)

I love tris! They're gorgeous. Was tempted to get a harli since the woman has another litter with a couple in it, but decided on the tri since I've got a doe that throws a harli every litter anyway (just not mini rexes).

(S)he'll be an indoor bun, on carpet with a dog crate and run in the corner of my room. The holes in the wire are small enough that I don't think (s)he'd be able to get out. No on the spaying/neutering. It'll be a papered rabbit so I might look into breeding later on if I get it a partner. I only have enough for one rabbit right now as the woman is charging quite a bit for this one ($35). We have rabbits and so I'll have all the equipment prepared, just have to set the pen up again when it's closer. I'm going to make him a bed. I've got some really cute fabric and I'm good with a sewing machine. All I really need to get him now is toys and things. Have any of you used the cute little leashes I've seen in some pet stores?

Are you using a wire-bottomed cage? I know these are standard in some parts of the US, although they are really not good for bunny feet. In Rexes I would definitely not recommend them. I'm assuming that Mini's will suffer from the same breed faults as Standards (I have only had a Standard) and so would avoid anything that would irritate already delicate feet.

I would also rethink the carpet. That's widely considered to be an awful surface for Rex hocks as it is so abrasive, and rubs away at the delicate fur. It depends on the carpet, but anything short or made of any kind of plastic should be avoided. Hay is really the best, although I know you can't always do that indoors. We managed with lino/laminate and lots of fleecy coverings.

I have used a harness, which covers the whole body, but never a collar and leash. Please, never use these, you will likely break your bunny's neck. Opinion on harnesses is divided. I have used them on rabbits who were very difficult to catch, as otherwise they would never have had outside time as I had an unsecured garden. It depends on the rabbit - very skittish buns should not be put in a harness as they could pull suddenly and hurt themselves. Calmer buns may do well, but you cannot leave them unsupervised in case the harness or leash gets caught in something. If your bunny is staying indoors, you should never need to use a harness.

What is a papered rabbit?

Are you using a wire-bottomed cage? I know these are standard in some parts of the US, although they are really not good for bunny feet. In Rexes I would definitely not recommend them. I'm assuming that Mini's will suffer from the same breed faults as Standards (I have only had a Standard) and so would avoid anything that would irritate already delicate feet.

I would also rethink the carpet. That's widely considered to be an awful surface for Rex hocks as it is so abrasive, and rubs away at the delicate fur. It depends on the carpet, but anything short or made of any kind of plastic should be avoided. Hay is really the best, although I know you can't always do that indoors. We managed with lino/laminate and lots of fleecy coverings.

I have used a harness, which covers the whole body, but never a collar and leash. Please, never use these, you will likely break your bunny's neck. Opinion on harnesses is divided. I have used them on rabbits who were very difficult to catch, as otherwise they would never have had outside time as I had an unsecured garden. It depends on the rabbit - very skittish buns should not be put in a harness as they could pull suddenly and hurt themselves. Calmer buns may do well, but you cannot leave them unsupervised in case the harness or leash gets caught in something. If your bunny is staying indoors, you should never need to use a harness.

I think the OP might have meant pampered

Papered I think means having purebred rabbits. You know, like getting the papers from the breeder on your rabbit's lineage.

papered means pedigree with paper work to prove it. We used the same terminology in the UK, only not so much with small animals.

No on the wire bottom cage. (S)he'll be on the floor with soft carpet down. The wire I was meaning is the wire around the outside of the cage that seperates it from the rest of my room.

It's very soft carpeting, so I think it'll be okay. But if it looks like it's hurting the bun, then I'll put down a blanket or towels.

I wasn't meaning a collar and leash, but a harness and leash, like if I wanted to take it outside but didn't have a run built to hold him/her.

Papered is pedigreed, like so many others said. Pureblood with papers to prove it.

Back