• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

some questions about buns that have moved from a hutch to a shed ?

enfieldgirl

Young Bun
hi my buns have moved from their hutch in to a converted shed /run know for about a month now and seem really happy bunnies that eat well , and luv nose rubs and cuddles .,i have kept the hutch in there as they seem to like snuggling up together in the hutch, but i have a few questions

1) before moving the rabbits they were very good at using their litter box, now they use it occasionally but keep weeing and pooing anywhere, is there anything i can do to encourage them to go back intheir tray.

2) anytime i put hay out they use it to wee on after eating a small amount, again not sure if its normally as they never used to do this

3) they have a few tunnels and boxes in their run but seem to spend quite a bit of time in the hutch (it is always open so they have free acess to the rest of the shed and run) any ideas how i can encourage them into their run more often

4) one of the rabbits drinks water from the bottle but although the water comes out ok she appears to pull at the bottle quite aggresivly as if she is getting frustrated , again is this normal ?

5) do most people keep the hutch in the shed ?

sorry for all the questions just need some advice from more experianced owners, thanks

If you put their hay in the litter box you might find they toilet in there. Some of mine do a few droppings everywhere but wee in the box. Have you got lino on the floor of the shed? If so give it a clean because when they moved in they would want to mark their territory so if you remove the smell now they may start going in the tray. I give my rabbits whiich live in a shed 2 litter trays. You can keep the hutch in the shed, many of us do, it's up to you. If one of your rabbits is pulling at his bottle it could mean he can't get enough water so it's best to give them a nice big bowl. They will drink more from a bowl as well, which is better for them. A heavyish bowl is a good idea. Is there grass in their run as if there is nothing to eat they may just choose to stay in. Some of mine do, as this year I haven't been able to get any grass laid. As long as they have the option I wouldn't worry. Hope this is of help to you.

I'd ditch the hutch as it will free up more floor space for them. Try replacing it with something like a table (or similar) that they can hide under and sit on top, and in the winter you can push it in a corner and stuff underneath with hay.

As its warm at the moment confine your daily hay to the litter box only. By the time autumn comes they will be used to the litter tray again and you'll be able to fill the shed with hay without them toileting everywhere.

Biting the bottle is probabaly frustration at the water not coming out quickly enough. Put a water bowl underneath it and bunny may prefer to use the bowl instead :D

Back