• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

On Average How Much and What do You Feed Your Rabbit(s) ?

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I am beginning to feel very guilty when I read the seemingly vast quantity of food many Bunnies have on a daily basis.

Mine have Farm Hay 24/7

A small handfull of A+P Pellets mixed with Rabbit Royal between 2 Rabbits morning and at night, scatter fed in hay.

A small portion of leafy greens or a handful of hand picked grass/weeds every evening

And that is it, unless they have been sent some dried Forage in which case they get a handful of that 2-3 times a week.

Fresh herbs are something I am unable to afford to buy on a regular basis, but I will buy them if I have a Rabbit who is not eating.

Am I really being that mean ?

Jane you feed what is right for your buns like a human i think everybun is different you no your bunnies inside outside and you know what is right for them

I don't think you're being mean, ours get hay all the time, bowl of veg between them for brekky and 1/4 cup ish of pellets each. I do get them herbs in the winter to spice up the veg. No treats, unless I'm peeling carrots or something for dinner.

Each get a small bowl of pellets (not the regular sized rabbit bowls but more than an eggcup) once a day, usually some little apple treats or something in there, and a few times a week they get veg (Usually a bit of cabbage, tons of carrot peelings, celery). So they don't get veg daily but when they do it's quite a lot in a go. The back garden is full of weeds too so they often get a handful of dandelion leaves too.

I'll admit the trio don't get unlimited hay because they're the perfect weight and they have never had a problem with teeth, it just goes straight through them and they poo absolutely everywhere when I've given them unlimited hay :shock: I don't have the time or money to clean out the trio's entire hutch every day so they tend to get a large clump with their food, and it'll either be excel herbage or excel forage

Not being mean at all Jane, sounds very similar to Stephen's diet :)

24/7 Local Farm Hay
1/2 eggcup of Harringtons (Wagg Optimum) for breakfast
Small handful of salad leaves/foraged food for lunch
1/2 eggcup of Harringtons for tea

He might have a few herbs every now and again, but only because I bought a couple of reduced 'living herbs'. They're slowly dying off though :? and if I've dried any dandelions I might sprinkle some on top of his hay.

Jane you're the opposite of mean esp when it comes to rabs! :love:

Mine are diddly bunnies (1.6 and 1.8kg) so they get:

Unlimited meadow / timmy hay depending what's available
Half a bowl of pellets between them once a week
A bag of fresh herbs between them every night (I don't pay full price I get them for 2p when I go to ASDA at 7 pm!)
Some weeds / forage if there's any available - which isn't often!
Rose petals - a handful every other week (from mother in law!)
One nibble stick between them after big clean out on a Saturday
One fenugreek crunchie each a day

Mine get two large handfuls of a mixture of rabbit royale, SS and readigrass per trio. Then obviously hay. Veg is every now and again :wave:

You're more generous with your bunnies than I am with mine!

Mine get unlimited baled hah topped up two or thre times a day (normally two).some of mine get one SS in the morning and one in the evening, some get a small handful, some special cases get a large handful. They get fresh with any meds but other than that it's a treat and I also use fibefirst and posh gays as treats too.

My diets ate tailored to the needs of each bunny- we have had some (especially when ill) on totally different diets, sometimes 100% fresh. You just have to do what is best for YOUR bunnies, which I know is what you do :)

Breakfast spring greens, tea a handful of pellets per two rabbits. Farm hay £3.50 a bale topped up three times a day foraged grass weeds and hawthorn as and when

My two get hay all day and in the late afternoon I feed them one egg cup each.

Then they get some flowers and herbs and bit of veg along with it

Can only echo what others have said re your rabbits diet, not at all mean and sounds great and healthy.

For mine they have unlimited Ings hay, as there is nowhere round here I can get good quality fresh bales, (given in a morning then topped up again at night), then for Boris gets an eggcup full of excel pellets in a morning and night. Beano and Gordon get an eggcup full to share in a morning and night. Then for tea they'll get either herbs or some kind of veg, only veg that is deemed better for them and only very small quantities, or some dandelions. They also get given fresh grass often in the summer if they are not in their run grazing (that accounts for Beano and Gordon, Boris stays in but I pick him grass, dandelions most days).

Thats not mean at all.

You have a garden so you could try and grow some seeds if you wanted they sell off the seeds cheaper at the end of the season so you might pick some up at bargain prices for next year, it is nice to be able to pick things from your own garden for them.

Mine don't get fresh every day either. Unlimited hay and a couple of tablespoons of pellets then if I've been to the allotment or have something to cut in the garden they get that. This year's been a bit of a wash out so some things they had last year they haven't this year and some things that did bad last year have done well this year. they get a plate of forage/herbs about two or three times a week and it's all homegrown or foraged. i don't buy any greens anymore.

Buckley gets a handful of pellets and unlimited hay. He gets forage and herbs and things when I can afford them or when he's requiring a bunny buffet. He's getting leafy carrot tops at the moment because OH bought carrots to go with dinners and those ones happened to be on offer.

You're not being mean at all. I asked my vet a similar question and he said that rabbits don't need vegetables, they need hay, pellets, space, and love.

Mind spend pretty much all day eating farm hay (they won't touch pet shop hay). Then they have a tablespoon of pellets each morning and night.
Fresh grass and dandelions most days if the weather is decent enough and my shift patterns allow it.
They sometimes have chicory, watercress, rocket and then whatever herb packs are on offer- maybe about twice a week.

Very, very rarely they have commercial 'treats'. I just don't think they're needed. Brian likes the dried herb bags so he usually gets a pack once a year on his birthday.

They really are happy with mostly just hay though, they get excited about diving in their litter trays when I've topped them up.

mine get hay, a few bog-standard asda pellets morning and evening, vegetables or herbs morning and evening and a treat at bedtime. and that's it. poor tabby rabbit doesn't even get that - she's on next to no pellets and reduced veggies because she's a fatty and needs help with it.

I do give Morse a portion of Porridge oats every morning but that is because it is a real battle to keep any weight on him.

Back