• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hot weekend thread!

Just thought I'd start this thread as it's set to be the hottest day of the year tomorrow ( peak may be 32 degrees Celsius!) . :) Tell us how your buns and other pets are coping and share tips and advice on how to keep pets cool. Feel free to add non pet related hot summer stuff too! :D :wave:

My two are laying on the cool slabs under their run. Luckily, their shed is in the shade but I've opened to window (they have a curtain) and the top of the stable door a bit to keep it cooler.

My top tips for cool buns are to let them out early in the morning and try to leave them out until the sun is setting, then they can have fun in the cooler times of day.

My two are hating the heat :( they have flopped out but stupidly desperately want to only be squished into one another :roll: they have the Scratch and Newton ice pods though which they've learnt to sleep on to keep cool :)

I've got two granite slates, an ice pod, the silver bubble wrap, and an extra bowl of water. Their run is on shaded concrete which helps also.

My 2 have got the shed door wedged open slightly so they can go into the attached aviary overnight, they also have an ice pack but dont seem to bother much with it prefering to flop and glare at me cos of course its my fault its hot!

My top tip, in the house we lift the loft hatch so the hot air upstairs goes into the loft, we have a dormer bungalow and they get soo hot upstairs. Lifting the loft door really works

It has only been 22c here,so not too bad.
We have rain forecast all day today and temp at 19c.

Some are coping, one of my pairs seems to hate it more than the others. I gave them an ice pod and covered it with a towel (I was worried it would be too cold) they just pulled the towel off and wee'd on it and ignored the ice pod completely :roll:
They just flopped out panting next to each other.

Got professional fit air-con in the house so the piggies and dogs stay lovely and cool :D but the bunsters are outside :(. However, they steadfastly ignore ALL attempts to keep them cool such as ice pods, bottles of iced water, ceramic tiles fresh out of the freezer etc etc. I usually find them spread out on the concrete slabs or (in Pea and Pod's case), they make a little hollow in the dry, shady soil at one end of their run and flop in them for most of the day.

Back