• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Concerned about Bears bottom!

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
He's been running around with a poo stuck in his bum fluff, or so I thought.
But when I went to pull it off for him I realised it was stuck hanging out his botty as there was soooooo much hair in there!
I don't know what to do :( I'm using my firminator on him every other day at the moment for as long as he will tolerate it and the amount of fur coming out you would think he'd be naked by now!
But still, hes doing his "string of sausage" poops!
And I'm especially conserened now I've found this!

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Grooming him a couple of times a day would help eliminate the amount of malting hair he ingests. Also making sure he has lots of hay to keep things moving and not get blocked with fur balls.

My rabbits are all malting terribly so regular brushing helps.

I dont really know what else to suggest. I heard pineapple in moderation is meant to help but a lady on here didn't recommend it the other day but I think it was because of it high sugar content and not great for teeth but maybe look it up to see.

I think the the grooming for him a couple of times or more if poss a day will help him though and a good diet to keep things moving.

Sorry just saw the firminator bit. I'm guessing that's a brush lol. Just more regular than every other day. Needs to be more if poss

Does he eat plenty of hay? i find that helps to get the fur pushed through their system. Smudge hates being brushed, it stresses him, so I brush him not so often and encourage him to eat plenty of fresh hay.

He eats loads of hay now, he does lots and lots of poos, drinks lots but still every day there's these string of sausage poos!

Bless him, he doesn't look half as furry as Smudge and we only get strings of poos sort of once a month, if that. Maybe try brushing him once a day and see if that helps.

i've have to trim matthew, tabitha and charles's bums regularly (i use hairdressing scissors) because they are so fluffy (and tabby is fat but she's on a diet) and the poo just sticks. cecile is even fluffier but very fastidious!

Back