• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly Stevie - Stomach blockage not eating

vicki267

Mama Doe
Steve refused food at 12pm, took him to vets at 2:30pm.

Lower gut/intestines are absolutely fine. Stomach is very hard and feels locally bloated - Not affecting rest of gut.

He has been moulting heavily, I believe he's blocked his stomach with fluff. Now I am no longer up to date with medication protocol but the vet has prescribed and administered (orally) emeprid, zantac syrup, lactulose solution.

He is still grooming a lot, currently running around and I did find two hairy poos.

I have syringe given him pineapple juice and some water (which he took) and some recovery food although as I feel his stomach getting bigger I am reluctant to feed any more.

Just wanted opinions on the med and should I give him another dose of each now? As advised by vet?

Cheers

Vicki

If his stomach is not emptying due to an obstructed pylorus then I am afraid that is a surgical emergency.

If his stomach is getting bigger/harder it is absolutely essential that he goes back to a *Rabbit Savvy* Vet within the next few hours.

Also, it seems no pain relief has been prescribed ?

Any news on your bunny? I am worried:(

Me too :cry:

I really hope there is a good outcome from Stevie. It's a long time since I've heard of him but if I remember correctly he's the one-eyed lop from Walsall. I hope you managed to get him to a rabbit savvy vet.

Well he's still at the vets. I haven't had to take any buns in for emergency treatment since Eva had bloat (shortly after Jet died), and TBH am not happy with how vets have progressed in that time.

I use two different vets as one much cheaper for vaccs and even the new vet who administers them doesn't seem to care.

I have changed vets so many times and have only ever found three rabbit savvy vets in the area. Two of which have now moved away and the good vet at the vets steve is at is on holiday.

I called the emergency vets last night and told them what I posted here. They said that they are unlikely to xray or operate and will likely do what I have been told to do by my other vet. They said I could take him in and they will keep an eye on him, feed him and let me know if he gets worse. I told them what was mentioned on here and how I have always trusted this forum and that I am getting conflicting advice, I know they never like us to diagnose a blocked pylorus but she just advised to keep to original advice and appointment today or they can admit for £165 but not operate until he sees vet today!

I was so upset last night, I feel so helpless as I just dont trust any vets anymore :-( I kept him as comfortable as can be and continued to give him pineapple juice and water. I gave him all the meds again at 11pm and again at 8:30am and he was taken in to the vets this morning... Although they said they would only try to see him before the original 3:20 appointment as they are fully booked. I explained I feel it's an emergency but the vets never seem to think so (they will probably postpone appointments for an emergency if its a dog or cat)! So I have to wait by my phone, and if I dont hear anything go back at 3:20!

No he hasn't been given any pain relief, I have been told three times that pain relief isn't given to small furries easily as it can effect kidneys (they used to give it to me to give orally after spay)! I have asked if he can at least be given pain relief and maybe an injection to get gut going.

I think they may xray.

Vets have gone downhill since last time I had any serious issues :-(

He needs as many vibes as possible.

I know those reading this might feel angry, and I agree it's an emergency but how can you tell a professional that they are wrong?!? They are meant to be qualified for a reason and they are meant to know best. I honestly cant take him anywhere else as most vets are closed and the only emergency surgery is the one I spoke to last night, which only operate when the one he's at is closed...

Vicki

I know those reading this might feel angry
, and I agree it's an emergency but how can you tell a professional that they are wrong?!? They are meant to be qualified for a reason and they are meant to know best. I honestly cant take him anywhere else as most vets are closed and the only emergency surgery is the one I spoke to last night, which only operate when the one he's at is closed...

Vicki

I do feel angry, very angry, but not with you, you are in an impossible position:cry:. It's just disgusting that they didn't squeeze you in a soon as they opened today, rabbit care varies so much from practice to practice, I realise how lucky I am.

Sending loads of vibes for Stevie.

He's probably been sat in a strange place all day and not treated as they seem to not think it an emergency!

I need to be armed with more info for when I go back... I've been crying looking through Jets post.

From reading Jane's comments about Jet, if they refuse to operate today should I ask for Fluid treatment and buscopan or has that advice changed too?

I think they will prob do xrays - If it shows pylorus not blocked what do I ask them to do?

If pylorus blocked - As mentioned last night he should have surgery, but if they refuse is there absolutely no hope of him passing with meds? I need to know what the kindest thing to do is :-(

I am just worried thinking they are too busy to check on him, at least if I was with him he'd have a nose rub :-(

I don't know what to say, the vets have been appauling towards you and Stevie. At the very least he should have been admitted yesterday and given fluids.

I myself was put in a similar situation a few weeks ago. Katy had been admitted over the weekend on fluids (for statis) and I was told to take her back to my usual vet and if not better to get more meds for her on the Monday morning. The "usual" vet practice (not my usual vet who was not there), said to see how it goes and refused to give me any meds for her. I immediately took her somewhere else who gave her the care that she needed and I now go there as my first port of call. I know that this does not sound like an option for you at the moment but are there any other 24 hr surgeries you could travel too.

Sending vibes to Stevie and hope that things start to move soon for him. Hugs to you, I know how you are feeling xxx

I'll leave here in 30 mins and demand fluids are given. See what else they have to say, I'll try calling around once and if I get home with him, only problem is I would want to talk to a vet over the phone as I dont want to just be fobbed off again after paying the emergency fee!

Other than his health, I am so angry that if he dies, they could have treated him this morning when I took him in, the fact I haven't had a phone call probably means he hasn't even been checked yet...

He's home, vet seemed pretty useless but when I asked about fluids said he had given him sub cut, although this didn't show on the bill (i had to request itemised).

They gave him fibreplex, told me his gut feels better and said to just take him home and re med and watch him. The vet said he's very hard to handle (no he's not), Steve obviously hated him and had kicked him, ha!

Got him home, fresh hay in tray with wife waiting for him, he was so excited, jumped in and weed over the edge (first wee in 24 hrs). Proceeded to chew a little hay then produced small sticky poos.

Has since had about 5 pellets with no tempting from me!

It's very early days but there are signs of improvement.

Still need vibes

X

Sending him lots more poo vibes.

If you don't already give him water in a bowl, try this as it may encourage more fluid intake. Also get him to move around gently (but don't stress him).

Did they give him any pain relief and also some to come home with?

No, they still refused pain meds but he no longer seems in pain.

He's never stopped running about, had the kitchen to himself last night and managed to make a mess of the whole room, he continued standing up and thumping throughout.

They've always used bowls as house buns but still haven't seen him go for a drink yet.

He's now had a handful of pellets and a dandilion leaf too.

He's been pooping more, drinking water, eating banana, pellets, poo, hay, dandilion and tummy feels a lot better.

Fingers crossed the meds have worked!

Scoffed his food this am, drinking and pooping plus looking like nothing has happened whilst I'm left with bad shoulder and headache, haha.

Been advised to canx appoint this pm and to keep monitoring him, give zantac for next two days, give fibreplex. He also has pineapple juice and probiotic in his water.

Been eating the oat wheat and barley hay again so hopefully see some golden poos!

Apart from about 15 stringy poos he hasn't seemed to pass much more fur, bit concerned some is still stuck but at least he's eating and for now tummy feels better.

He's produce about 50 med sized black poos too since yesterday pm.

Back