• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

In tears with Shula-Honey/ doing much better p52

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
:cry::cry::cry: She is going through so much at the moment, its just not fair. No bunny deserves such a hard time :cry::cry:

For some reason her incontinence has got steadily worse in the past week. I can't keep her dry for a minute as she is even weeing as I bathe and dry her. I had shaved some of her fur off but I now need to shave loads more.

I have attempted to do some more this evening and her skin is so sore :( The fur is so wet i can't even get the clippers through it properly. She was weeing on me and the clippers as I shaved her. I think they have pretty much had it and so much more fur needs to come off. The skin underneath was red raw despite everything I am doing for her. her tail and the back of her legs are now bleeding :cry: I feel awful.

Bless her heart she was so upset with me doing it and I know she is in a lot of pain by the way she is holding herself - her pain relief was tripled by the vet when she arrived, so not much more I can do there at the moment. But despite it all she came straight back over to me and lay down next to my legs. So together we have spent the last 30 minutes laying on the patio together, me giving her head rubs and despite her pain she has been licking me :love: What a wonderful gentle soul she is :love:

Her eyes are wet round the edge as if she has tears in them as are mine :cry: She really doesn't deserve to go through so much pain and it is more than likely because she was abused in the past or at least not cared for properly, yet Shula is still the most loving bunny ever.

We have had so many incontinent rabbits in the past but I have never ever come across any thing this bad ever :cry: I don't know what else I can do for her :(

Last edited:
Aww poor Shula:(, despite everything thats happening it seems like she knows you are doing your very best for her
Sending vibes to Shula xx

:(:( Bless her, I don't have any useful advice but I'll keep her in my thoughts. x

Aw no, poor Shula :cry: I really hope something can be done for her, she seems like such a sweetheart. Sending vibes xxx

Do you have any clue why she's got so much worse? Could it be a urinary tract infection or something? You've probably already thought of that but :oops:

Bless her, poor love :(

I hesitate to say the 'n' word, because its not something I would normally recommend, but would a nappy help as a temporary measure, just to try and get the wetness absorbed away from her skin straight away. I don't know if it's something that she might tolerate well or would work for the way she is weeing?

I do hope you can find a way of making her comfortable, bless her x

I have thought about that too. I hate nappies on bunnies. The problem with shula is that she would need to wear them all the time which I wouldn't be happy with and they would need changing every couple of hours. Also with the damage to her spine she doesn't walk very well and I think a nappy would seriously affect her mobility.

Do you have any clue why she's got so much worse? Could it be a urinary tract infection or something? You've probably already thought of that but :oops:

This is what I'm wondering too. Not an infection as she is already on antibiotics for an upper respiratory tract infection. I am wondering if it's because she is running around a lot more here, but I really don't know.

I have found that with a Rabbit with bladder issues due to nerve damage getting them into a routine of manual bladder expression can stop the incontinence. This usually involves feeling their bladder every 3-4 hours to check for fullness and manually expressing it if necessary. Also, I soon realised that if the Rabbit has nerve damage they never fully empty their bladder, leaving sediment behind which eventually builds up to form bladder sludge thus exacerbating the incontinence. The manual bladder expression meant that sediment did not accumulate.

I have found that with a Rabbit with bladder issues due to nerve damage getting them into a routine of manual bladder expression can stop the incontinence. This usually involves feeling their bladder every 3-4 hours to check for fullness and manually expressing it if necessary. Also, I soon realised that if the Rabbit has nerve damage they never fully empty their bladder, leaving sediment behind which eventually builds up to form bladder sludge thus exacerbating the incontinence. The manual bladder expression meant that sediment did not accumulate.

Something else I have considered and need to talk to the vets about. I am just a but worried because I know her spine is painful and she is terrified of being picked up, even though she wants a snuggle when her
feet are on the ground. I would.be so scared of hurting her further, but it is definitely something to think about.

Poor girl. I have no experience with bladder problems (yet!!) But I really hope you can find a solution to make her more comfortable soon xx

Bless her little heart :love: I can't help, I have no experience of this condition, but I wanted to send positive energy to Shula :love:

She was very wet again this morning as we expected. But her skin looks better so the attempt at shaving has helped. There is much more to come off but I shall leave it a few days as she is obviously traumatised by yesterdays effort and it has affected her walking a lot. So today she has just had bath and cream, still not an easy thing to do as when you turn her over her back legs sort of lock against each other so it's nearly impossible to get to her bits inbetween.

I am very worried about flystrike today. Someone should make a bunny shampoo that has a long lasting fly deterrent built in!

Aw, bless her. She sounds adorable, such a shame about the incontinence.

Did you say your clippers were broken? I have some here that I never ended up using and if you want to PM me your address or send it to me on FB I would be happy to send them to you.

Back