• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bonding diary - All advice greatly welcomed

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
Here is the set up we have for them

D35894F6-5B2D-4831-8CCB-10CE8CFC9EEF-12294-0000107DB9D70176.jpg
[/IMG]

Brand new puppy pen, on a neutral sheet, the litter tray and the bowl are brand new too.
Have washed the walls and carpet of the area with vinegar well before setting up.

So far Bear has been eating the hay (wondering if I should have put it in there so soon but conscious they always have a constant supply) and Alice has been doing a lot of foot stamping.

Bear had a brief humping session, she just sat there and flattened herself out like she hated it.

He bunny flopped next to her a few times to.

Much better :thumb: if you find one is claiming the litter tray or bowl, put 2 in or just put the hay in a pile in the middle and just get another water bowl. When feeding pellets, scatter them :thumb:

If you can keep them in this size pen over the weekend and see how they are Monday then you can decide what you want to do :D hopefully it goes great and you can leave them :D

I think Bear is comfortable being with Alice :love: hopefully she feels the same soon :D

Thank you!
Have taken out the litter tray as they did seem to be a bit territorial with it.

At the moment Bear is chasing poor Alice round in circles, no more stomping from her though! A little more humping.

OH has just got the mattress down from the spare room for me ergh :(

Thank you!
Have taken out the litter tray as they did seem to be a bit territorial with it.

At the moment Bear is chasing poor Alice round in circles, no more stomping from her though! A little more humping.

OH has just got the mattress down from the spare room for me ergh :(

Hopefully it will be worth it :thumb: It will be their first night together so hopefully things calm down for you :D good luck!

There not really doing anything at the moment, been ignoring each other for about an hour, if that carry's on through the night I'll be well happy!
I expect not though!
Going to feed them there pellets in about half an hour, Bear likes his food I have a feeling it could be interesting...

There not really doing anything at the moment, been ignoring each other for about an hour, if that carry's on through the night I'll be well happy!
I expect not though!
Going to feed them there pellets in about half an hour, Bear likes his food I have a feeling it could be interesting...

You should see Donny and Lola :roll: it's like I don't feed them :evil: :lol: if you just scatter it enough then it should be fine :D

Yeah you would think Bear and Alice are starved by the way they act at pellet time!

Bear just jumped the pen so having to put the mesh on now, makes me a bit nervous as I cant see in as well or get in very quick, I can hardly get in and out of there no idea how he managed that!!

My boy goes mental at pellet time too. He nudges my hand and bobs back and forth like he's starving lol.

Good Luck this evening. I'll be following this thread so I know what to expect when it's my turn :lol:

I made it through the 1st night and I actually got lots of sleep they were pretty well behaved!
Only thing that woke me up was Bears constant digging and bar chewing, he's not used to being caged poor boy!
Alice has made a COMPLETE change over night and instead of beeing terrified I think she's fallen in love with Bear! When Bear sits still for 5 minutes Alice will hop over and snuggle up next to him it's so cute to watch! She does still run away when he approaches her from behind though I think she thinks she will get humped again! Bear is completely indifferent to Alice though don't think half the time he notices shes there dopey!

Overall I'm feeling positive so far, absolutely no signs of agression, just a few humps and a lot of chasing!

Question - if I took bears dog crate in the garden today and disinfected it and washed it with vinegar, do you think they could go in there together if there doing well by this evening?

Bears absolutely demolished the puppy pen and keeps trying to jump the top theres absolutely no way I could leave them unsupervised I'm worried he'd hurt himself and get tangled in the mesh and also eat the sheet on the floor, there is carpet underneath so no way I could take the sheet out as he'd dig and eat that!

It's a bit dodgy moving them at this early stage but if you think you have to then go ahead. Will they then be able to stay put for a while in the dog crate?

There's no way I'd feel comfortable leaving them in the puppy pen when I go back to work :(

They can be in the dog crate for as long as they need to, I think I have to give it a go otherwise there going to be separated on Monday so back to square 1!
Jaut going to make sure it's thoroughly neutralised and see what happens, if there behaviour changes drastically then they will go back to the puppy pen and will have to sort something else out come Monday morning.

They seem to be getting on ok, they have been grooming each others ears and have just fallen asleep nose to nose :love:

I was so terrified about leaving them Monday morning but if they carry on like this ill have no problem!

They have been sleeping most of the day so I'm bored stiff!

:lol:

What size is the dog crate? Can you get a big sheet to peg onto the pen so it's secure? :) I used old curtains we had, made sure there was an overhang of a good amount and put loads of pegs on and it was fine :)

I have a sheet underneath which I've pegged up the side but he digs and pulls it till it falls down.
Also even though there is now a covering over the top he keeps trying to jump out and I'm terrified he's going to hurt himself :cry:

I have a sheet underneath which I've pegged up the side but he digs and pulls it till it falls down.
Also even though there is now a covering over the top he keeps trying to jump out and I'm terrified he's going to hurt himself :cry:

Why can't rabbits do as they are told and stay in one place! :roll: :lol:

I'm not sure (not an expert!) but I guess the crate would be the same kind of space as the pen they have now so if it was disinfected well I would (this is just me though) put them in it with the blanket they have now and hay in the middle and 2 bowls (to stop any fight that might happen in a new area) and keep an eye on them, then you can make a decision on what to do tomorrow rather than leave it until tonight or something :)

Back