• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just myxi vaccination due, Single or Combi?

Stator

Warren Veteran
Mine were all vaccinated 6 months with both the singles but now the myxi is due. Would you rather have the double done now or another 6 month single myxi?
I think it's better to have the vaccinations done at the start of the year so they have maximum protection through the summer, but if I get the doubles done now I will be on the reverse routine to that, with the best protection through the winter when the risk is lowest :?
Or does the fact that the new combi provides better myxi protection than the single outweigh the issue of having it in the wrong month?

Mine were all vaccinated 6 months with both the singles but now the myxi is due. Would you rather have the double done now or another 6 month single myxi?
I think it's better to have the vaccinations done at the start of the year so they have maximum protection through the summer, but if I get the doubles done now I will be on the reverse routine to that, with the best protection through the winter when the risk is lowest :?
Or does the fact that the new combi provides better myxi protection than the single outweigh the issue of having it in the wrong month?

Well the combined jab will protect for 12 months - and that's equal protection from when the jab is received to when it runs out. That's the point of it.

The single myxi lasts for 6 months hence needing it twice a year. The VHD single is for 12 months and if you had both the myxi and vhd done 6 months ago then in my eyes you've got 6 months left on the vhd jab, if you get me. Therefore, wouldn't you be overdosing your rabbit/s if you had yet another vhd now?

Personally I'd ask your vet. I wouldn't want to risk overdosing my bunny.

When mine had the combined vaccine it was perfect timing as their vhd jabs also needed doing so they are now covered for both myxi and vhd for the next 12 months.

Well the combined jab will protect for 12 months - and that's equal protection from when the jab is received to when it runs out. That's the point of it.

A current trial in a high-risk area in conjunction with the manufacturer is suggesting that the vaccine might not provide 12m protection leading vets involved in the study to conclude, based on their current field (literally!) findings, that it will probably need to be administered 6-monthly, not annually. It's too soon for the results to be wholly conclusive but this is the current line of thinking....

A current trial in a high-risk area in conjunction with the manufacturer is suggesting that the vaccine might not provide 12m protection leading vets involved in the study to conclude, based on their current field (literally!) findings, that it will probably need to be administered 6-monthly, not annually. It's too soon for the results to be wholly conclusive but this is the current line of thinking....

Can you please provide source information on this? Where are you getting this from as that's extremely concerning.

Can you please provide source information on this? Where are you getting this from as that's extremely concerning.

:shock: You ain't kidding it's concerning - at £30 per jab it's also daylight robbery if it doesn't last the promised 12 months!!

this as ive only heard it being done every 12months and mine have recently had the new combined vaccine, i wonder if the rwaf know anything, as they normally send press releases out, but not heard about this

:shock: You ain't kidding it's concerning - at £30 per jab it's also daylight robbery if it doesn't last the promised 12 months!!

Even more so at the £40 i paid, but i would pay £100 for the safety of my pets.

Even more so at the £40 i paid, but i would pay £100 for the safety of my pets.

Well I would too (in fact paid £60 only last week when Thumper wasn't very well - cheaper to get a new rabbit ... :shock::lol:) but my point was we pay extra for a jab which is supposed to give 12 months cover but doesn't. It's not doing what it says on the tin, which is surely wrong.

I think antibody levels are bound to vary over time, they won't just stay in the system for 12 months and then magically disappear. That's why I ideally want them vaccinated before summer. I'm not worried about 'overdosing' the VHD as I don't think that's how it works, nothing 'bad' stays in their system that long, it's just the immune response that carries on but over time it gradually forgets about the disease, giving the VHD early should just remind it about the disease earlier than it needed.

The information is direct from the vet currently testing the vaccine in a trial with the manufacturer. The rabbits are penned in a field in a 'high risk' area in the south-west of England and they are in direct contact, ie rubbing noses, with wild rabbits infected with myxomatosis. So far, it seems, some of the buns trialing the vaccine are developing atypical myxomatosis symptoms.

It is still early days and these are early observations in the study which has not yet concluded. However, these early findings are suggesting that the vaccine might not be giving the intended 12 months of protection. I think the findings are due to be reported late this year or early next year.

this as ive only heard it being done every 12months and mine have recently had the new combined vaccine, i wonder if the rwaf know anything, as they normally send press releases out, but not heard about this

The RWAF probably aren't aware of this study. It's still ongoing and hasn't yet concluded and my understanding is that the findings to date are merely early observations. Time will tell re the effectiveness of the vaccine.

In the meantime, I'm sticking with the separate Myxo and Lapinject vaccines which have been more thoroughly tested, at least until stocks are no longer available.

We had this situation and my healthy bunnies have had the combo, and my unhealthy bunnies have had their regime adjusted so they can have the combo in six months.

I've just had each rabbit vaccinated with the combined when they are due a vaccine of either type. I did try to work it so that it was spread throughout the year by giving some the single vaccine but however I plotted it I just seemed to get back to there being 6 months of vaccinations and 6 months not. Having started in March though there's just one vaccine to go and then everybody's had the new vaccine. It's amazing how quickly you forget that they used to have 2 vaccines only 2 weeks apart!

My vet said it would be fine to have the combi even no still covered for the VHD from the previous jab. He also said studies showed it gives better cover than the single mixi so another reason to change ASAP.

I just want to say before the double vacc came out, last year one of my bunnies got accidently vaccinated twice for VHD, There was only seven weeks between the two vaccinations. She had no ill effect what so ever. So in my mind now, i would not worry about my bunny having the combined vacc a bit earler than needed if it was to cover myxi.

Back