• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Space requirement for groups?

Bugalugs

Warren Scout
Hi,
After my previous post re: mis-sexed buns I have seperated the 'actual' male and booked him in for neutering next week.

I am now preparing for the worst case scenario of an accidental litter from Pumpkin. If she is infact pregnant then I have made the decion that any kits I can't responsibly rehome (inc homechecks) will have to remain here with me in a group.

Rather than finding myself in chaos in a few weeks time i'm trying to get things sorted now in preparation.

My current set up is being extended slightly this weekend so the buns will have permanent access to 66 square ft of space.

They will also have daily access to grass in a large collapsable run when weather permits.

How large a group of medium sized buns would this be ok for?

Thanks.

Could you get the vet to check if she is pregnant and possibly have an emergency spay if its early on in the pregnancy? Sorry i dont know the history.

I'll use a rescue who's requirements i know as an example.

They require 50sq ft per pair of bunines, permanent access. So you have 16 sq ft additional, i wouldn't want any more than a trio in that space if it was me or a rescue, they may even say a pair only.

Oh..... Crikey. Looks like this is going to prove to be a very expensive :censored: up by way of accomodation improvements. And i only just got it all sorted :roll::roll::roll:

Hopefully of the worst comes the the worst I will be able to rehome some of them anyway, but looks like i need to start planning for a hefty extension!

Oh..... Crikey. Looks like this is going to prove to be a very expensive :censored: up by way of accomodation improvements. And i only just got it all sorted :roll::roll::roll:

Hopefully of the worst comes the the worst I will be able to rehome some of them anyway, but looks like i need to start planning for a hefty extension!

What about an emergency spay, or is it too late?

Graham the doe has been in with the buck for weeks. When the :censored: up was discovered on Monday he was hiding his bits so it appeared as though nothing had dropped. On further inspection on tuesday morning though they were proudly on display :roll: realistically she could drop any day :?

I am absolutely livid with myself as i had the supposed male seperated and hadn't checked them myself. We were awaiting HER bits dropping before taking them all in together for vaccs/neutering etc. (admittedly not the 'best' way to do it) but with 4kids and summer holidays it was the way i though most sensible.

:(

Sorry for re-directing the thread, but have you read the 'accidental litters' thread at the top of behaviour and bonding area? Just thought it might give you some assistance :)

I think it is very responsible of you to take on any babies that cant be found good homes. At least to start with they will be small so the space you have will be ok. Once you know numbers and sexes then you will know exactly what space they need as they grow. Good luck with it all x

It sounds to me like you are doing your best. Fingers crossed there are no babies on the way but this has happened to me and I did keep them all. They were all boys!

I have a setup of 60sqft and I wouldnt keep any more than 3 small buns in there, I feel guilty keeping my two in there permenantly (one is big-ish).

Extending your run would be the cheapest way to make your accommodation bigger.

I had a big group over 3 rooms and used to open the door is they could free range in garden. I should imagine you will need several small sets of accommodation first though, cos unless you can mass neuter them all at the same time, hormones may make it hard to keep them together. My free ad babies started fighting at 7 weeks.

I would still see vet to see if they can tell how far along and consider emergency spay if under two weeks. It could cost you thousands to do it right

Back