• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

smelly!

jay3ttp

New Kit
Hi everyone I have a female rabbit about 10 months old, she is lovely but gets smelly very quick. How often does everyone here clean their rabbits out. Also how easy is it to litter train? I have only had her for about 2 months, she came from a lady who seems to chop and change animals all the time, her cage was filthy. Any advice would be greatly recieved as i want to continue to keep her indoors but i need to sort the smell problem. What flooring is best for a rabbit too? Thanks

Have her spayed if thats possible may help. It will stop uterine cancer also, which unfortunately a lot of unspayed does suffer from.

I dont have a cage so can't comment but i'd say every few days.

Litter training is based on a rabbit, they dont get 'trained' so to speak they just tend to toilet where the hay is, keep the hay in a litter box/tray and that helps! :) Change these every other day.

Funnily enough our girl bunny (pre and post spay) smells more than our boy.

We clean the wee parts out everyday (just the wet sawdust) but then clean and anti bac the hutch every week. this keeps them fresh

I've had Doughnut spayed and I don't think the urine smells that much. She's indoors and when I'm at work she's in a hutch with a play pen attached.

She tends to go to the toilet in the dark part of the hutch and sleep in the wire part, so I put her litter tray in there and always put hay in it as she likes sitting in there and it encourages her to go toilet in the correct place. You will probably find your rabbit will wee in the same part of the hutch so just put the litter tray there. If she goes elsewhere mop a bit up with newspaper and put it in the litter tray so it smells of it for her and disinfect the place she went. She will soon learn where to wee. Doughnut sometimes poops in her playpen but that's more territorial so getting a rabbit to just poop there is harder. She doesn't poop all over the floor though, it's mainly contained to her hutch.

I have the litter tray on top of newspaper so if she's gone over her litter tray I change the newspaper and just scoop out the wet parts of the recycled paper litter. I do this twice a day when I'm topping up her hay. I also use a cage cleaner once a week.

I meant to say I've lined her hutch with lino as it's easy to clean and I think if she weed on wood it would be harder to get the smell off. Over that she has newspaper then her litter tray on top and on her sleeping compartment she has a fleece. Her play pen is lino again so if she does wee there it's easy to clean and disinfect.

Iv just recently tried wood pellet cat/animal litter, got mine from the range, natures own, but u can get similar types elsewhere. I couldn't believe the diff in the smell, u can't smell the wee at all with this compared to woodchips which stink!! As I was temporarily housing one rabbit indoors, she was upstairs in spare room, door closed, and I would walk in the front door and it would stink of rabbit wee! Even when I'd just cleaned it. This litter made a massive difference and there's no way il ever use woodchips again!!

Back