• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Have I done the right thing? (phantom pregnancy/nesting)

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
Ok, so today Bella is nesting like crazy. Started maybe an hour ago. She's been a little hormonal the last few days so kind of saw it coming :( anyway. I've usually just left her to it & left Boris in there with her as normally he doesn't seem too bothered, but today he insisted on sitting in her nest. She didn't react to this, it's just that every time she came running she knocked him over. Despite this he still came back and sat in the exact same spot :roll: So I have now removed him from the room and put him in the hallway right outside. They can see eachother and touch between bars but not get to eachother. This is only temporary, literally until she calms down. I was afraid that she would accidentally hurt him :(

Do you think I've done the right thing? Obviously having Boris around would help her calm down faster (she's very stressed out atm :() but at the same time I don't want to risk her hurting him! She usually calms down after a while so hopefully it won't be for that long anyhow. I hope...:(

Personally, I would leave them together unless there is a real danger that they will fight. Usually, as long as rabbits have enough space, they can get out of each other's fur quite well.

Is Bella spayed? If not, it's certainly something to consider. Spayed bunnies seem a lot happier and are likely to live longer.

Have to agree. as long as she's not being overly aggressive i'd leave them together. The stress of being apart from a bonded partner can be massive and coudl exascerbate things.

I think if i remember rightly, you dont have a vet in sweden who would spay her?

Ok. Thanks everyone! I just got worried as she's quite a bit bigger than him and COULD potentially hurt him without realising. She's now pulling fur out and has stopped collecting hay, which is usually a sign that she's starting to calm down. Boris is very cross with me too since he dislikes being in the hallway for some reason.

And yeah that's right Graham, if I had a rabbit savvy vet near me she would've been spayed long ago :( but none of the ones here are competent enough to do it. They have literally no experience. I hate seeing her like this and worrying about her getting cancer, but while I live in this town I can't do anything about it. I'm off to university in September which means I'm moving to a bigger place, and it should be easier to find a good vet there. I'm hoping I can bring the buns along at some point and THEN I'll definitely get her spayed. I'm already saving up for it.

Bella has calmed down now and is eating, so I moved Boris back in there :) he, at least, is very pleased...she whimpers when he comes near her and I've never been sure what that means, but I think she's just telling him to play nicely now that she's feeling a little delicate. She seems very tired bless her. If I so much as touch her head she just flops down. She's munching away on hay though which is good :) just wish she wouldn't have to go through this...it's stressful for all of us but I can't imagine how she must be feeling :( poor girl.

Back