• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

eating wee newspaper ?!

sunnibunny

Alpha Buck
my leah, a netherland dwarf who is 3 and half years old eats newspaper which has her urine soaked on it. im not sure why she does it. she has a full diet of being on grass everyday and variety of herbs and weeds (thanks to the lovely forage and plant threads! :D) as well as hay provided, not that she eats much of that since she prefers her grass diet. she gets treats as well which have their speicifc vitamins in it too and also has a mineral lick. so why is she is eating her urine soaked paper? she doesnt eat clean newspaper for sure.

I don't think buns need those mineral lick things :) what kind of treats are they? :)

I *think* licking/eating things with pee on can be an indication on bunny being in pain but it probably isn't that if she is healthy so don't quote me on that! :wave: I know when we need to take Poppy to the vets though as she pees and will lick it up after which tells me something is wrong and it's usually a course of antibiotics that sort her out then :)

Have you tried hay for pets hay? My pair slowed down eating hay but they have started loving the timothy and rye hay again :roll: I would recommend this though :thumb: if you get the £12 (inc. postage) it will last ages if you use other hay :) there is a £9 bag too :)

Some bunnies drink their own urine if they are sick, but not heard of eating urine soaked paper before.

Is she eating the hay? Is she asking non soaked paper at all? Sometimes they crave newspaper or cardboard when they need fibre, could it be that even though hay is there she isn't actually eating it?

Is she eating the hay? Is she asking non soaked paper at all? Sometimes they crave newspaper or cardboard when they need fibre, could it be that even though hay is there she isn't actually eating it?

my leah, a netherland dwarf who is 3 and half years old eats newspaper which has her urine soaked on it. im not sure why she does it. she has a full diet of being on grass everyday and variety of herbs and weeds (thanks to the lovely forage and plant threads! :D) as well as hay provided, not that she eats much of that since she prefers her grass diet. she gets treats as well which have their speicifc vitamins in it too and also has a mineral lick. so why is she is eating her urine soaked paper? she doesnt eat clean newspaper for sure.

;)

But yes, i agree with Elena's query of does she actually eat hay well?

Back