• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny nail clipping

shadow05

Mama Doe
Hiya!

I know its been a while i thought i would ask if anybody has any good techniques for clipping a rabbit nails especially for a bunny who likes to be difficult lol :).

i found the only way to get any nails clipped is to wrap Scooter up in a quilt but hes always escapes so i dont think ive been wrapping him in the quilt properly. ive also got a friend whos bringing her bunny over as well as she cant trim her rabbits nails because hes just like scooter except grumpier.

so if anybody has an ideas on how to do this better plz reply and thank u for ur help :)

If it becomes a massive stress for Scooter and for you then don't do it at home. I can do Ginger's at home but Biscuit HAS to go to the vet as its just too much for him to have it done at home.

Also, if your friend brings over their rabbit, be aware that the scent of other rabbits may well upset them both, so just keep that in mind. Obviously keep them well apart.

we don't have enough room to separate him but i don't think hell get too upset maybe some glaring and stopping on scooter behalf lol but ill be sure to keep them apart. Scooter generally not so bad its only when u get to tht last part tht he starts to get upset at which point i put him back in his cage to calm down and leave him alone.

ive told her that if i cant do it then she wud be best to take her bunny to vets.

we don't have enough room to separate him but i don't think hell get too upset maybe some glaring and stopping on scooter behalf lol but ill be sure to keep them apart. Scooter generally not so bad its only when u get to tht last part tht he starts to get upset at which point i put him back in his cage to calm down and leave him alone.

ive told her that if i cant do it then she wud be best to take her bunny to vets.

*bangs head on wall*

I dont think you quite understand how territorial rabbits can be.

Do NOT let them get together anywhere near each other. If you have to lock scooter in another room temporarily do so. Or you could have two rabbits fighting causing each other serious injury.

scooters need doing again i did them 2 months ago but because he doesnt go out they get quite long im trying to sort something out for him during the day u know when im not in cause its not fair for him to have to stay in that dog crate. i can tell hes getting depressed doesnt even come out anymore when i open the cage door just lies down in his new litter tray noming on some hay always stuffing his face :)

the bfs mother has guinea pigs outside so i was thinking of either putting him in with them which i dont think is a good thing with what hes like or getting him a pen of his own outside. hes lived with guinea pigs before when he was little but as far as i remeber he didnt really think much to them lol

Last edited:
*bangs head on wall*

I dont think you quite understand how territorial rabbits can be.

Do NOT let them get together anywhere near each other. If you have to lock scooter in another room temporarily do so. Or you could have two rabbits fighting causing each other serious injury.

i do know scooters in a dog crate in the living room the best i cud is put him in the bathroom in a carrier id put him just normally but hed have my flooring up by time i got back lol i dont think her rabbits neutered either. well sort something out when it comes to sunday.

Why can't you go to your friend's house to clip claws? It isn't going to do anything for your rabbit or her rabbit to be stressed out, if anything it will make claw clipping more difficult in the future because they'll associate it with being unhappy.

As for how to do it with an difficult bunny, I do mine on the dining room table on a towel. I lean over and do the side away from me first, just lifting their paws one at a time. Then I turn the bunny round the other way and do the same again. No one get stressed and I escape with all limbs intact:D. I also only cut to the lenght of their fur, it's a little longer but I know I won't catch the quick in dark claws that way.

scooters need doing again i did them 2 months ago but because he doesnt go out they get quite long im trying to sort something out for him during the day u know when im not in case its not fair for him to have to stay in that dog crate. i can tell hes getting depressed doesnt even come out anymore when i open the cage door.

the bfs mother has guinea pigs outside so i was thinking of either putting him in with them which i dont think is a good thing with what hes like or getting him a pen of his own outside. hes lived with guinea pigs before when he was little but as far as i remeber he didnt really think much to them lol

You cannot have a rabbit living with guinea pigs, they are two separate species and need the company of their own kind. Much better to let the guinea pigs live on their own in their little group:).

Can you not buy a cheap metal run to extend the area he has during the day? Zooplus do some reasonably priced ones: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/runs_fencing/73280

Last edited:
Why can't you go to your friend's house to clip claws? It isn't going to do anything for your rabbit or her rabbit to be stressed out, if anything it will make claw clipping more difficult in the future because they'll associate it with being unhappy.

As for how to do it with an difficult bunny, I do mine on the dining room table on a towel. I lean over and do the side away from me first, just lifting their paws one at a time. Then I turn the bunny round the other way and do the same again. No one get stressed and I escape with all limbs intact:D. I also only cut to the lenght of their fur, it's a little longer but I know I won't catch the quick in dark claws that way.

We wud be she lives far away and only she has a car and we both hve stuff to do but shes going to be up near where i live on that day doing some stuff so shes gonna pop in while shes up here

yea tht sounds like a good idea but dont they get bored with it and walk off? cause thats wat scooter wud do lol

yea tht sounds like a good idea but dont they get bored with it and walk off? cause thats wat scooter wud do lol

Well, you do have to hold onto them while you do their claws, it will only take you 5 minutes tops. If you put some hay or food on the table, that will keep them occupied too.

You cannot have a rabbit living with guinea pigs, they are two separate species and need the company of their own kind. Much better to let the guinea pigs live on their own in their little group:).

Can you not buy a cheap metal run to extend the area he has during the day? Zooplus do some reasonably priced ones: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/runs_fencing/73280

i already have pens its just the issue with the flooring because its laminate and he cant walk on it and its brand new im lucky the land lady even let me have him really. we cant really give him a pen during the because one bf gets all arsey. 2 it wud block off the bfs reptile room. i wish i cud give him the 6 foot pen that he use to have but theres simply not enought space for him to hve his big pen.

as soon as i wake up in a morning i feed him and let him out but he never comes out im beginning to wonder if theres something wrong i mean hes comming up 3 this year in decemeber. i do the same when i come in from work whens a lot more active but still he doesnt come out ? :(

Well, you do have to hold onto them while you do their claws, it will only take you 5 minutes tops. If you put some hay or food on the table, that will keep them occupied too.

i think ill give the a go might work ill try scooter first cause hes sounds like hes gonna be a lot easy from what my friends told me about he rabbit. they look alike as well lol ud think they where brothers or something.

hes just come out for a quick run around and has gone back in :(

i already have pens its just the issue with the flooring because its laminate and he cant walk on it and its brand new im lucky the land lady even let me have him really. we cant really give him a pen during the because one bf gets all arsey. 2 it wud block off the bfs reptile room. i wish i cud give him the 6 foot pen that he use to have but theres simply not enought space for him to hve his big pen.

as soon as i wake up in a morning i feed him and let him out but he never comes out im beginning to wonder if theres something wrong i mean hes comming up 3 this year in decemeber. i do the same when i come in from work whens a lot more active but still he doesnt come out ? :(

Most rabbits hate laminate and wont go on it. That would explain that - you could put rugs down for him to run across.

I agree with GrahamL, you can buy pretty inexpensive rugs or get some off-cuts of carpet for him to run on.

Rabbits are usually quiet during the middle of the day. My two come out in the morning and are active until about 8.30am, then they become more active again at about 6pm but if I see them in the middle of the day, they're usually resting.

i think ill give the a go might work ill try scooter first cause hes sounds like hes gonna be a lot easy from what my friends told me about he rabbit. they look alike as well lol ud think they where brothers or something.

hes just come out for a quick run around and has gone back in :(

I'd recommend you read up on rabbit behaviour and habits :)

Rabbits are crepuscular, meaning they are most active at dusk and dawn. They tend to sleep/be inactive between 9am and 4pm as a general rule of thumb.

We wud be she lives far away and only she has a car and we both hve stuff to do but shes going to be up near where i live on that day doing some stuff so shes gonna pop in while shes up here

Hi, Sorry if I've read this wrong, but I hope you're friends bun isn't going to be sat in a carrier for all that time! Its nice that you've offered to help, but it doesn't sound like a practical solution. Maybe there is someone else closer that could help? I would recommend the vets really. Its going to be much easier than bun being away from home for that long, keeping yours completely seperate and worrying about them smelling each other.

We take Jenson to the vets to have his nails clipped. Its much quicker and less stressful. I always book in when the head nurse is there as she has bunnies too and handles him well, usually they sit on the floor with him to do it.

Flat mats are available lots of shops. I've got a big kids one and numerous smaller pet ones. Easy to move around to give him more space and different areas to investigate.

Back