• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What does neutering entail?

Hi x

I'm getting Todd, my new rescue bunny, neutered. I will get him booked into the vets for next week to be neutered after he has settled in.

What does neutering entail?

Thank you :) much appreciated :) x

Lol :) I think I put the wrong wording.

Does the males testicles swell up afterwards? And how long does it take for the incision to heal up? X

They can do, yes. Biscuit had a haematoma in his left sack after it was removed, where the sack basically filled up with blood and went hard. It disappeared after about 2 weeks.

It took ~4 weeks for it to completely heal.

They can do, yes. Biscuit had a haematoma in his left sack after it was removed, where the sack basically filled up with blood and went hard. It disappeared after about 2 weeks.

It took ~4 weeks for it to completely heal.

Ah. Bless him x

How long afterwards can I put Todd back with Millie?

Theoretically if they are bonded and Millie is spayed, you could put them back together immediately and it may help him to recover - i'd recommend she goes with him if possible, as if he comes back smelling of vets, you may find you'll need to do a complete re-bond possibly as he'll smell of the vets which could break their bond.

However, if he's hormonal which he may be as he's been circling you etc, he may need to stay away from her until he's calmed down and fully recovered and then a re-bond done either way.

I'll let the experts comment further however, thats just my minds thinking.

Theoretically if they are bonded and Millie is spayed, you could put them back together immediately and it may help him to recover - i'd recommend she goes with him if possible, as if he comes back smelling of vets, you may find you'll need to do a complete re-bond possibly as he'll smell of the vets which could break their bond.

However, if he's hormonal which he may be as he's been circling you etc, he may need to stay away from her until he's calmed down and fully recovered and then a re-bond done either way.

I'll let the experts comment further however, thats just my minds thinking.

They have bonded much quicker than I expected them too.
Todd have only been with me since Tuesday morning lol.
Thank you for your advice GrahamL :)

I'm hoping that their bond won't break when I take him to the vets to be neutered. I'll have to wait and see.

Todd tried to hump my son's and daughter's leg and mine and one of my friend's leg too lol

I will ask my vet how long till I can put them together afterwards. They should know x

Can't you take them to the vet together? My bunny savvy vet prefers it if you Bring bonded rabbits in together.

I personally would not use a vet who did not allow this for the reasons you are worried about

Ask your vets if they recommend taking the pair together.
If they say yes, take both of them.

If they say no explain why they need to be taken together and take them both!

If the receptionist is reluctant to agree, then tell her to forward you onto a vet.

Ask your vets if they recommend taking the pair together.
If they say yes, take both of them.

If they say no explain why they need to be taken together and take them both!

If the receptionist is reluctant to agree, then tell her to forward you onto a vet.

Hopefully the vet will allowed me to take the pair :)

Back