• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Deslorelin implant

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Has anyone used this in a female bunny?

It was something suggested to me for Trevor as her hormones are a real issue now. I have a check up appointment for her next week and want to ask the vet about it. If I knew someone else who was using it, it would really help my case.

I have a friend who is planning to use it for a couple of hormonal female rats. I can update once she's had them fitted. I know not the same but at least size can't be used as a reason not to give it a go.

I have a friend who is planning to use it for a couple of hormonal female rats. I can update once she's had them fitted. I know not the same but at least size can't be used as a reason not to give it a go.

Brilliant, thats good to know thank you :wave:

I have found info on female ferrets and male rabbits but nothing on female rabbits :?

I can't be of any use on this but I really hope the vet can do something to help Trevor with her hormones. On the face of it, an implant seems like a good option as I would guess it's less major than a spay (which I assume just isn't an option for Trevor at this time) but would provide her with the relief from her hormones and enable her to focus her energy on her health and happiness.

I can't be of any use on this but I really hope the vet can do something to help Trevor with her hormones. On the face of it, an implant seems like a good option as I would guess it's less major than a spay (which I assume just isn't an option for Trevor at this time) but would provide her with the relief from her hormones and enable her to focus her energy on her health and happiness.

Thank you :wave: There is no way Trevor can be neutered.

At the moment because she is so in love with Bobbi and trying to mount her I am having to watch her round the clock as she is constantly falling on her back and getting stuck there :( Also when I do her physio or put her in her sling all she does is run straight to Bobbi instead of having fun with all the buns or binkying :( So she isn't getting the exercise she needs.

If I separate them for her exercises then she wont concentrate on them and just wants to get back to her friends. So it really is having an impact on her progress :(

Thank you :wave: There is no way Trevor can be neutered.

At the moment because she is so in love with Bobbi and trying to mount her I am having to watch her round the clock as she is constantly falling on her back and getting stuck there :( Also when I do her physio or put her in her sling all she does is run straight to Bobbi instead of having fun with all the buns or binkying :( So she isn't getting the exercise she needs.

If I separate them for her exercises then she wont concentrate on them and just wants to get back to her friends. So it really is having an impact on her progress :(

Poor little love :( Sending lots of please-let-this-implant-be-suitable vibes! xoxo

Used a few on rabbits too sick to be speyed. I've had some good results with post implant oestrogen levels dropping to zero. I've got a few cases ready to write up.

Hope this helps

Used a few on rabbits too sick to be speyed. I've had some good results with post implant oestrogen levels dropping to zero. I've got a few cases ready to write up.

Hope this helps

Ooh thank you :wave: Is it Ok if I tell my vets you have used it please?

Thank you very much :wave:

we are seeing a new vet at the practice on Tuesday, she seems very good but not sure how open she is to suggestions yet

Trevor has seen the vet today and the vet is open to the idea but wants to check that it won't affect Trevors heart so is going to give trinity vets a ring for some advice.

This is just what we were hoping for, so very pleased. Fingers crossed something can help Trevor even if it's not this specific one x

Back