• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunnies

Flibj

New Kit
I adopted two rescue rabbits on Monday having never had rabbits before. They've got a 6 foot hutch and a 10 foot run which will be connected once they've been weaned onto grass. They immediately took to using the bedroom of the hutch as a toilet, and I'm fairly certain they're not sleeping in there. Will they just go in there to sleep when it gets too cold? I'm worried that they'll get into the habit of sleeping in the open area of the hutch and then get too cold in the winter.

Also I've seen a cat in the garden tonight, I went out and the buns didn't seem particularly scared, they'd thumped a couple of times but they were still in the open area of the hutch. I can't understand why they wouldn't go into the shelter of the bedroom if they felt threatened? They don't seem to have any problem going in there to use the toilet, they go in there a fair amount during a day, but they just seem to stay out all night.

They do like to toilet where they feel safe and somewhere enclosed. I wouldn't worry too much, they'll sleep where they feel comfortable. You could provide a second hidey hole somewhere if you're worried, or cover the hutch at night. I used to have a tarp covering the front of the hutch to keep them sheltered at night and in case predators came round.

All my bunnies poo in their 'bedroom' and most bunnies i know do too, my bunnies don't like lying in there, because bunnies are nosy so like to watch everything outside, mine don't get cold in the winter because i cover up their hutches and they have each other to snuggle into :) Good luck with your bunnies! :thumb:

I too have just adopted 2 bunnies. First time we've had rabbits (any animals actually.) We have a 2 tier 6ft hutch and for much of the day they sit on the top level looking out. I've never seen them in the bedroom area at night and I too was worried about when it turns cold. Mine have been using the bedroom as a toilet although I am having more success in the last couple of days with a litter tray in the bottom level with hay in the tray and in a rack at the side. I had all these plans about how it would all work and it's all different! I'm slowly realising that it's going to take time to get the set up right, as the bunnies get more settled and I get used to their ways. It's a lot of fun but frustrating at times! Good luck!

Back