• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

E.cuniculi questions

~bailey~

Mama Doe
Hi, just looking for a little advice :)
I have two rabbits, one very suddenly had head-tilt, dizziness (her eyes and head kept moving to the right, she would correct, it would continue etc), and one hind leg not working properly, temporarily either incontinent or just not bothering to move to her tray. Took her to the vet who said it was probably e.cuniculi and said to give her panacur for 28 days. This was 10 days ago, she is looking much better, head and leg ok again, using her litter tray, not dizzy. Not 100%, shes eating, but not as much as normal by looking at what she is producing and isn't eating her (very smelly) caecotrophs (sp?).
I asked about my other rabbit and the vet was quite vague. She said to just give him a 9 day course, but given that he will definitely have been exposed and most likely ingested the parasite too, should I be giving him a full course? I also asked her if I should be giving him one dose or two (he is over 2.5kg, she is under so is only having one) and she just sort of shrugged and said it was a judgement call... The box is unclear too, does he have to be 5kg to need two doses? Or just over 2.5kg? She said extra wouldn't hurt him, so I have been giving 2, but it is affecting his stomach a bit too (which is generally quite delicate), so if I give him a month course and it will be effective at a lower dose then I'd rather do that.
Sorry for this being so long. I worry about them a lot anyway, even without either of them being ill and am feeling quite lost, especially as she still isn't properly right yet :cry:
Poor things must be sick of me going over and shoving hay under their noses constantly to check that they are eating!

I would give both Rabbits a 28 day course

I dont use the Panacur Paste but the 10% Liquid as the liquid is both more economical (I have a lot of Rabbits) and it is easier to administer a weight specific dose (0.2ml/kg)

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/dogs/worming/panacur-small-animal-oral-suspension-100ml-10.html

With the paste you need to give 1 graduation per 2.5kg so for example a Rabbit weighing 3kg would need 2 graduations. If this is giving adverse GI tract symptoms you need to discuss the situation with a Vet and to be honest I would be seeking said advice from a Vet more up-to-date on Rabbit specific medicine. From what you have posted here the Vet you have at the moment seems at best vague and certainly not that interested.

A non steroidal anti-inflammatory such as metacam is an essential part of the treatment of EC. This is because it is inflammation caused by erupting EC spores that results in clinical symptoms and longterm cellular damage

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Encephalitozoonosis.htm

Trying to minimise the possibility of the Rabbits ingesting EC spores (which are excreted in the urine) good hygiene is essential. All contaminated bedding should be removed daily and food should be fed from a raised area to avoid it being contaminated by urine/soiled bedding etc.

A 10% bleach solution will kill EC spores, which can remain viable outside of the host for up to 30 days. It is suggested that bleach cleaning of the environment is done on days 21 and 28 of treatment. Personally I do it daily in a case of active EC.

The Rabbit exhibiting GI tract issues may benefit from having a probiotic added to the drinking water. It will be fine if both Rabbits to drink it

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/small-animals/digestion/protexin-professional-5g-sachet-single.html

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/avip...=Google+Products&utm_campaign=Google+Products

Or there is a probiotic paste

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/small...texin-fibreplex-for-rabbits-15ml-syringe.html

This article may be useful for you to read

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...N3ISKU&sig=AHIEtbR1V0Bkgl46nxoM3IZVX7iM5Uaz_Q

I hope your Rabbit continues to make a good recovery :)

we give a 6 week course for rabbits showing severe symptoms and parteners ..

as Jane .. we use 10% dog/cat liquid . It is easier to administer and far more acurate than the paste ..

Just wanted to send lots of vibes for your bunnies. One of mine developed E.C recently and it was a very difficult time, but they can get better. Hang in there xx

We have experienced EC with our beautiful bun Buttercup who made a 100% recovery. She had severe headtilt, eye flickering, thought she was fitting but was actually rolling etc. Jane's advice is spot on of course. A 28 day course of panacur and metacam is a must. Also agree with the bleaching out etc. I would certainly panacur any partner buns too.

Agree too with the advice to 'hang in there'. It is difficult and often distressing but EC buns can and do make full recoveries, be prepared for some rough times and it may seem things get worse before they get better but they do normally get better.

Good luck :wave:

oh I wish I had realised there was a liquid before I bought 20 tubes of paste! lol I guess I know for next time.

Thank you all so much for the replies :)
We got them some probiotic and within 24 hours Luuna (the affected bunny) was eating more hay and even had a couple of pellets too! (she goes off pellets if she's not feeling right) Her poos doubled in size and doubled again over the next 24 hours, yay :D Bailey's eating/stomach has also gone back to how it is normally now he's having the probiotic too! I'm so relieved!
I've worked out when day 21 and 28 are, so I will be bleaching everything on those two days! I did think that they would just be reinfected straight away when they finished the course, I mentioned it to my OH when we left as the vet hadn't said anything about it... I was quite surprised by her if I'm honest, the vets at this practice have been really good in the past for various teeth/abscess/wound treatment etc. She didn't seem to want to commit to anything at all, just seemed to want to impress on me how unlikely she was to recover :?
They run about on a washable rug in the evenings to protect the carpet, so I'll be washing that on days 21 and 28 too. I'll do it at 90 degrees, would that kill spores or would it be a good idea to add some laundry bleach to that too do you think?
Thanks again to you all :)

Back