• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My house bunnies are outside...

nessar

Warren Veteran
And I miss them :(

I miss waking up to a bun landing on me, and if its Barney having him snuggle up for a long cuddle. I miss lying on the floor and having them jump around me and come say hi. I miss them being able to get attention whenever they want, I miss putting my hand out for nose bonks as I go past. I miss them being clean. I miss them always being there and not having to specially put aside time to see them.

Now they are outside in the cold and rain and I have to go visit them. The floor is dirty (obviously) and hard and often damp and you cant lie on it, and there are bugs everywhere. I keep finding spiders and woodlice and earwigs and other unindentified things in the hutch and run. They usually have dirty feet. Annabella doesnt even give me nose-bonks anymore, she's always been independant and non-human-orientated but being inside kept her familiar and more friendly. And once its dark they have to be put away and I cant go and see them. Rather than taking Barney to a different room with me and showering or cleaning or going on my laptop whilst he eats separately to Anna, I have to put him in his hutch and leave him till he is done. Barney misses me too, he's straight over to the wire when he sees me and is wanting proper snuggles but the ground is too yucky to lie/sit on properly. He likes constant attention and human company but he cant get it now.

Sorry, self-indulgent moan about nothing really.... boo freakin hoo I know, I need to get over it! :lol: But still, they've been outside for a couple of months now and I miss them :(

Anyone else move house buns outdoors and miss them?

Last edited:
Poor you, I am sorry you still miss them inside but i understand it. The only house buns I have had were Rum and Raisin and it was only for a short time. They were so much fun to watch and the minute they got through to the carpet in the living room they would binky like mad. I at least know they are happy and thriving outside so all the negative feelings are mine, they are fine!

could you move them back in?

Have you thought about getting a shed set up so it's easier to go outside and be with them?

Poor you, I am sorry you still miss them inside but i understand it. The only house buns I have had were Rum and Raisin and it was only for a short time. They were so much fun to watch and the minute they got through to the carpet in the living room they would binky like mad. I at least know they are happy and thriving outside so all the negative feelings are mine, they are fine!

It is lovely watching them isnt it :love:

At about 9pm to 2am Anna would have random fits of energy, and zoom around for a few minutes, binkying and jumping over things and on things and doing 360 turns...then settle down like nothing had happened, only to start again half hour later! She used to do it at dawn too. It was amazing to watch.

could you move them back in?

Have you thought about getting a shed set up so it's easier to go outside and be with them?

Unfortunately not to either, its not my house, and they wouldnt have any room in the room I'm in, not with all my stuff in it, they have more room outside.

Its not all bad, being outdoors has really helped Barney's snuffles. I'm worried he wont cope well with winter though.

Selfishly i couldnt have B&G outside, well, partly selfishly, i doubt Ginger would survive.

I love them being in my room while im working. I love that Ginger comes and lays over my feet while im typing, i love that Biscuit runs round doing bunny 500's while i can hear him smashing off of the things he bangs into.

I feel your pain, you've done better than i ever could, i just couldnt do it!

Good that I don't have a choice, I live in a flat:) I can't be ok without Chrisi's attacks while I am concentrated:)

Selfishly i couldnt have B&G outside, well, partly selfishly, i doubt Ginger would survive.

I love them being in my room while im working. I love that Ginger comes and lays over my feet while im typing, i love that Biscuit runs round doing bunny 500's while i can hear him smashing off of the things he bangs into.

I feel your pain, you've done better than i ever could, i just couldnt do it!

This. When they're at the vets overnight I struggle to sleep because it's too quiet! No hay munching noises and the sound of their feet on the lino.

It must be hard, is there any way in the future they could be house bunnies again?

So sad for you :( It must be so hard to transition from having them around you all the time.

it's so true what you say that are able to interact with you more. Nothing makes me happier than having her napping under my chair while I work. She doesn't really do anything but it's nice knowing she's there.

She also jumps on us every morning in bed to wake us up. I don't wake up otherwise so it's a good job really.

Aw - I would hate it if T&F had to go outside too.

Just at thought - could you get some cheap waterproof trousers so you can sit outside on the ground with them (cheap ones are usually thick and tough!)?

Why did you have to move them outside?

Could you not put up a shed? so then you can lie down with them and let them run all over you and then they wouldn't have wet paws and and you could stay out of the rain/snow ect when you see them so you could spend more time with them, and they will be kept warm? I love sheds! :D

I struggled to sleep at first too Elena, mind you when they were inside they kept me awake too :lol:

I may have them inside in the future, but we're looking a good while into the future. I need to get a decent job so I can afford to live on my own! Even then, I dont know, as Barney's snuffles seems much better outdoors, I'm guessing because of the fresh air and no heating.

Esupi- I have been thinking about getting 'rabbit clothes' :lol: I really need some sort of thing to sit on, like a big wipe-clean cushion, but it would be a pain to store and I dont know if they actually exist!

I'm gonna take a blanket and go read in their run later, looks like its gonna be fairly dry today. Hopefully I'll get a nice cuddle with B.

eta- I cant Charlotte, they are right in front of a window so it would block light, and its not my garden. Plus, I only just bought the hutch a couple of months ago so there is no money left!

Last edited:
I struggled to sleep at first too Elena, mind you when they were inside they kept me awake too :lol:

I may have them inside in the future, but we're looking a good while into the future. I need to get a decent job so I can afford to live on my own! Even then, I dont know, as Barney's snuffles seems much better outdoors, I'm guessing because of the fresh air and no heating.

Esupi- I have been thinking about getting 'rabbit clothes' :lol: I really need some sort of thing to sit on, like a big wipe-clean cushion, but it would be a pain to store and I dont know if they actually exist!

I'm gonna take a blanket and go read in their run later, looks like its gonna be fairly dry today. Hopefully I'll get a nice cuddle with B.

eta- I cant Charlotte, they are right in front of a window so it would block light, and its not my garden. Plus, I only just bought the hutch a couple of months ago so there is no money left!

like a leather-covered bean bag sort of thing? should be easy-ish to find.
Or could just pop an actual cushion in a bin bag for now!

like a leather-covered bean bag sort of thing? should be easy-ish to find.
Or could just pop an actual cushion in a bin bag for now!

oooh I didnt think of that! Would be a nightmare to find somewhere to store it but if I got a tarp that covered the whole run (current one only covers 3/4 of it) then it shouldnt get wet and could stay in.. if they didnt eat it.

oooh I didnt think of that! Would be a nightmare to find somewhere to store it but if I got a tarp that covered the whole run (current one only covers 3/4 of it) then it shouldnt get wet and could stay in.. if they didnt eat it.[/QUOTE]

:lol::lol:

I have wipe clean cushions for my shed :)

I'm not sure if they still have them but they were from matalan, they're really squishy round ones and the sides and back are pvc because they're designed for use in the garden :wave:

I have wipe clean cushions for my shed :)

I'm not sure if they still have them but they were from matalan, they're really squishy round ones and the sides and back are pvc because they're designed for use in the garden :wave:

oooh thank you, I'll look on their website. You dont happen to have pics do you? Dw if not.

oooh thank you, I'll look on their website. You dont happen to have pics do you? Dw if not.

I don't, but I googled it and they're these ones. I think they have blue stripey square ones too.
AD20120810851033-1-Hot_Mediterrane.jpg

Back