• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What is your vets examination room like?

Laura10101

Warren Scout
Hi!:wave:

What is your vets examination room like? The reason i'm asking is that Daisy was on disapproving rabbits the other day with this photo

Daisyatvet.jpg

and loads of people commented about how unsafe it looked because of the high table, tiled floors (i'm not even sure if they are tiled, i've never noticed as i'm too busy worrying about Daisy's behaviour!) and because there is no guard round the table. I've only ever been to one vet so i'm not sure what is standard.

thanks,
Laura

Same at my vets and my older vets, table and no guard. I hold onto them firmly and have had no problems other than Smudge somehow making it between me and the table. Still can't work out how that happened. He managed to get through an invisible gap.

I have been to the emergency vets with him and the vet got on the floor to examine him :shock:

Same at my vets and my older vets, table and no guard. I hold onto them firmly and have had no problems other than Smudge somehow making it between me and the table. Still can't work out how that happened. He managed to get through an invisible gap.

I have been to the emergency vets with him and the vet got on the floor to examine him :shock:

One of the less experiences vets tried that with Daisy once, i think she was scared of Daisy! Daisy ran riot round the floor until we caught her :lol:

Same here. The table is pretty much the same as in your photo. No guards. The vet is very strict about either me or her holding/guarding the bunny though...

...although usually with Bunny, the problem isn't so much him jumping onto the floor, but more him jumping into my arms :roll:

My vet's the same. Just a table in the middle with no guard. We've only ever had one problem with a rabbit trying to jump off and I can't see that a guard would have even remotely helped the situation.
Tiled/lino floors are the best options for a vets surgery as they are easy to sanitise so I really don't get the problem. :?

I think most tables are fairly high without guards the vet expects owners to hold the animals or they will call a nurse in to help if the owner is not able to hold the animal, flooring is normally Altro flooring.

My vet's exactly the same.

If a bun wants to escape off the table then they will....guard rail or not. We should be there to hold them and stop them making a bid for freedom!

Looks pretty normal to me! The table is that high so the vet can get a good view of the animal they are examining, and it would be pretty hard to examine an animal properly if there were guards around the table - it sounds to me like the person making the comment has never been to a vets before :lol:

I felt like a bad bunny mum when i read the comments on D.R! I feel better now knowing it seems pretty standard in the UK :)

I felt like a bad bunny mum when i read the comments on D.R! I feel better now knowing it seems pretty standard in the UK :)

Personally I think a guard rail would.be dangerous. If a bunny leaps in panic it's leg could get caught and result in a dislocated hip or broken leg. I also think it would make it impossible for the vet to do a proper dental check.

My vet's room is very similar. I usually hold any animal I take as they stress less than if the vet or nurse has them. Bunnies do try and jump into my arms and if they do, I will cuddle them until the vet is ready to proceed.

I have had a cat scratch me and jump off the table and hide under the cupboard in the vet room. We had great fun trying to catch her and I had to clean up my wounds before I went home as the vet was worried they would get infected.

Same as our vet; high table, easy clean flooring, no guard rails. Buckley has never attempted to leap off the table and if he did I wouldn't fear for him too much as he's jumped off much higher things onto much less forgiving floors and survived.

I've never seen a vet table with guard rails, I would think it'd be more dangerous than not having them and would make it difficult for the vet to actually examine the animal. Our vet just asks me to hold him still while he does the examining bits.
Whoever made the comment probably hasn't been to many veterinary surgeries!

Last edited:
Same as my vets....I always just say that Archie needs to be treated on the floor...the first time i took him to the vets...he scrambled up over the nurses shoulder and jumped ontot hte floor..I was so worried and shocked..she couldnt hold him...they then had to inspect his teeth and after a struggle we ended up doing a barrito! So now - he always get checked on the floor..he is happier that way and its so much safer with a scared bunny who leaps away.:wave:

Back