• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding help - one chasing the other

We have had Thumper (a very aggressive but inquisitive netherland dwarf) for 18 months. He is 3yrs old and we got him from a rescue centre. He has since become a very lovable and friendly bunny, althought occasionally gives a bad nip! He has been neutered.

We had him bonded with Jessica, a 2-3yr old netherland/dutch cross female who is neutered and a little shy. They came home on Saturday after a week at the rescue centre that did the bonding and they went into a new cage (indoors) and seemed to get on very well. There was lots of licking of ears, snuggling and grooming.

However, yesterday morning things changed. We noticed Thumps going up to Jessica and her giving him a warning nip and him running off. She would then put her head up to him asking for grooming. He would do it for a bit, then nip her when she wanted more. Finally, he would do a fast run up to her, nip her and run off.

The nipping is not causing damage, but I'm concerned as despite a few bits of affection, we seem to have gone back a stage! I have tried moving the tunnels etc around to try and discourage the running and I even let him out of the hutch for an hour to run around to try and expel some energy (as he previously had free run of the flat), but the situation has not improved. When I catch them nipping, I immediately open the hutch door and stroke both of their noses to calm them down.

Any advice on how to move this forward or whether we should just wait it out would be appreciated?

Maybe putting them back in the car for a bit would help?

Thank you!!

Welcome to the site :)

What advice did your rescue Centre give, given they did the bonding?

Are they in a neutral area?

Are they in the same size accommodation as they were previously?

How does the one being bitten act?

Well they were very helpful and said that they thought Jessica had been put off a bit by Thumpers initial bad behavior. However, they were happy in the same run/hutch and had been there a week and so we felt they were ready to come home.

Observing them tonight, I have realized Jessica's nipping is protective and a reaction o thumper. He has stopped being affectionate to her and grooming her, even when she tries and offers her head up for a lick. It is at this point that he will nip.

I tried putting them both side by side on my lap And nose stroking them, but he nipped her and then my leg!

We bought a new hutch and so all neutral as aware he is very territorial.

I seperated them for an hour while I fed them and him back in the run and ministered it, nose stroking them both. But I'm concerned he's still not being affectionate.

Have you any tips? Should I just keep doing this and stick it out?

Thank you!

Back