• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The ultimate bunny den

Gothymama

Warren Scout
I just found this on ebay and had to post this, it is so reasonably priced, would need a rainproof roof put on it but for the price i still think it is worth it,it's huge. Please take a look and please comment on thoughts. I also think a window in the housing part could be added, but i'm gonna have to talk to my other half really nicely and see if we can go for it. I think it's lovely :D:D:D:D:D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Poult...t=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item3f1b05f823

My *personal* opinion is that it is too small.

Your best option would be a shed with an attached run, much more space!

I think that you could get more space for your money. I have read a lot of people saying that these chicken coops are not the best for bunnies.

I looked at these on ebay last week, they take the photo to make it look massive but if you look at the dimentions you realize why they are so cheap, I think the clue is in the price it just seemed to good to be true.

I agree, have a good look at the dimensions. Maybe map it out on your floor with newspaper so you can get a better idea of what it all means. It's easy to forget in the summer how important inside space is as well. You really want at least 12sq ft inside.

The photos on those listings make the set ups seem huge, and the fact they say it's up to 9 hens as well, makes you feel like it must be massive when 9 hens would actually have very little space to move in there.

too small and it looks a bit flimsy. if you look at the ones in the major pet chain, you get a good idea of what isn't strong enough! some people here have really chunky hutches of a good size. some like wendy houses (don't get it myself, awkward to clean, but they do look cute in the garden) and most people seem to like sheds.

my buns are indoors but if they were going out i'd like a good sized shed with an aviary attached, tall enough for me to walk in and clean comfortably, or a good solid dog pen with run.

I think it is too small - and difficult to clean. You could do much better. I'm not a fan of coups for rabbits.

In real life, they're tiny, they're too small for rabbits. Guinea pigs would probably be a better bet.

Those coup things are rubbish imo if they aren't modified like Saj did hers. She turned the whole thing into one big hutch and added a run onto it. The inside bits are barely 4ft usually and the runs are never more than 2/3ft wide.

too small and it looks a bit flimsy. if you look at the ones in the major pet chain, you get a good idea of what isn't strong enough!
I can't speak for the run, but I'm pretty sure I have the same coop for my chickens and it's actually quite good quality and surprisingly strong. The main downside for rabbits (aside from the size) is that there's a little gap around the slide out tray which isn't too bad for chickens who are up on a perch and huddled up together, but would be bad for rabbits who would be at ground level where any cold winds would come in. :(

shed and run definently :)

i have a coop but it was free with the bun when i got her its a ok temporary house but i prefer the shed amd run over it by a long way :thumb:

thank you everyone for all your replies, i have never seen one of these coups in real life so to speak so just couldn't picture the size, i think that they take the photograph to make them look bigger is a very valid point and more than likely correct, i would eventually like a proper shed, have it insulated and patforms etc put in for the buns to sit on and i have seen avery panels available on ebay to make an attached run,but that is a while away yet, due to cost etc, i want to bring them in during the winter and will need to invest in a new hutch for them that is big enough as have recently bonded them and need to sort out an indoor run so they have space to move, i liked the chicken run idea for summer housing as it had the appearance of being quite large, the buns at the minute have free space of aprox 12ft x 5ft in the garden as ive used the run panels to block of part of the garden but it's not predator safe, i can see them at all times through the patio windows in my lounge as their run and hutch are right by the patio doors, but it is not ideal for the winter,hence needing to bring them in, i think from the opinions expressed i will be giving the chicken coup a miss, i dont want to end up with something that might look nice but is too small and difficult to clean, i value the opinions given and can honestly say i agree with all of you :) i'm so glad we have this forum, cause it is so nice to get the advice/opinion from other bunny minded people :):):):)

You can always find out if something is big enough by looking at the dimensions and comparing to the minimum reccommended size accommodation: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm

Just a note, indoor rabbits dont need a run, if you bunny-proof the room properly you can give them constant access to that.

Nessar i am in a private rented house at the moment and unfortunately the carpets belong to the landlord and i cant risk my buns peeing on them, i have one of those collapsable runs with 6 metal sides, so was thinking of attaching that to a new hutch and putting vinyl flooring down under it to make it cleaner, if it was my own house i wouldnt be so worried x:)

Back