• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded pair - one going in for dental - advice please

clarebasham2208

Warren Scout
Hi all,

Bobak is going in for a dental on Friday, this is the first one he's has since we bonded him with Dusty 4 months ago. He'll be at the vets for the majority of the day and I'm worried about their bond breaking while he's at the vets. Should I take Dusty with him and leave her there so she's with him or can she stay at home? Our vet isn't keen on having Dusty with him as he'll probably need a drip after the op and he's worried Dusty will chew through it. Plus Dusty is quite a nervous rabbit compared to Bobak and hates going to the vet, so I don't want to stress her out either.

Any advice would be great :thumb:

Hiya
Scarlet had a dental when her an Ori had been together for about a month so Ori went with her and they both stayed in for 2 nights. They only separated them whilst she was still woozy from the anaesthetic.
With her previous husbun Scarlet wouldn't really eat or do anything until she was back with Boo so I would always only separate for as long as was absolutely necessary.
Scarlet has had several dentals (5 in the 16 months we've had her) and has never needed to be on a drip afterwards so I'm not sure why your vet thinks that will be necessary. I wonder if they are trying to put you off taking another rabbit in.

I always send them with their friend (unless there is a medical reason for the friend to not go). It makes the situation far less stressful for them and you have no worries about bonding. I also agree with RedFraggle- mine get Sub Q fluids are a routine dental, but not a drip.

If you're not able to take them both, then put Dusty in an area away from where they normally live for the day and then take Dusty with you on the way to pick him up, so that they travel home together, in the same carry case. That should eradicate any issues with smelling odd.

Thank you for the replies. Bobak had to have a drip after his last dental which is why I'm assuming he'll need one again this time. His dental op was combined with his neuter as well, could that be the reason he needed the drip? I will take both bunnies in on Friday.

Back