• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Frenchie health problems

Angie65

Wise Old Thumper
Is there anything else that can cause manky eyes besides dental issues? It's not all the time. He's also underweight - eats well although hay eating is a bit hit & miss - lots of wastage, but am loathe to reduce his pellets/porridge while he's so underweight.

He's also got rubbish hearing. He used to flinch if you touched his head, -fast like he was gonna bite - but he's stopped that now.

He's had his teeth checked while conscious - no obvious probs, but is booked at vets Thurs - with intention of GA neuter/proper look at teeth & ears - although all subject to his weight - he's very spiney - you know that triangle shape they get?:?

He's also got stress mites - been treated for, but not yet gone, bald patches on his ears, & sore hocks -but on his front feet. Again - these are clearing up - he's finished his baytril. He's also on panacur - we are 2 weeks in.

He's not in obvious pain -binkies around, so friendly, & follows me like a dog.

This is my cousins ex bun who now lives with me

Poor thing! So many ailments! Sounds like you're taking excellent care of him, though!
Could you perhaps post a picture of his eye? Might help people see what it is, then they can keep a look for it in their own bunny! ^o^

I would think tooth root elongation (skull Xrays needed to diagnose) and Otitis (ear infection) are likely to be an issue

Frenchies are prone to Ectropian/Entropian

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/EntropionEctropionRabbit.htm

Cheers Jane. I will write down for discussion with the vet. He's such a happy little fella, I was hoping within a couple of weeks of painkillers/baytril/feeding up he would improve, but I just keep adding stuff to the list :/

Lolabun- his mankiness is basically just wet or sometimes looks like sleep- but he eats like a horse, so I was hoping not teeth. Hes just finished baytril for his
feet so maybe why the head flinching stopped if his ear infection cleared up a bit?

Cheers Jane. I will write down for discussion with the vet. He's such a happy little fella, I was hoping within a couple of weeks of painkillers/baytril/feeding up he would improve, but I just keep adding stuff to the list :/

Lolabun- his mankiness is basically just wet or sometimes looks like sleep- but he eats like a horse, so I was hoping not teeth. Hes just finished baytril for his
feet so maybe why the head flinching stopped if his ear infection cleared up a bit?

Could be xx

I have a frenchie who has weepy eyes. Although she does have dental issues on one side of her mouth im not sure if the two are linked in her case, as her eyes can go for ages and be fine and other times the skin gets quite sore around the eye from the tears. we use a cream called dermisol for the skin around the eyes.

Daisy also have very selective deafness! i can shout on her for ages and she will ignore me until she sees me getting close but as soon as i shake a pellet bowl she will come running from the other room!

I have a frenchie who has weepy eyes. Although she does have dental issues on one side of her mouth im not sure if the two are linked in her case, as her eyes can go for ages and be fine and other times the skin gets quite sore around the eye from the tears. we use a cream called dermisol for the skin around the eyes.

Daisy also have very selective deafness! i can shout on her for ages and she will ignore me until she sees me getting close but as soon as i shake a pellet bowl she will come running from the other room!

Luke is so cute - I make tons of noise when I'm approaching him cos I was scaring him half to death before. But if he knows I'm there, he comes running, which is pretty impressive for a bun that's constantly being prodded, drugged, etc etc

Hope had runny eyes from time to time .. sometimes cleared up on their own sometimes needed tiacil to help..

Hopes molars were perfect and she never needed a dental ..

it was just something we had to deal with when it flared up .

Brams eyes are exactly the same. He doesn't have any dental problems at all.

For him, it's just a recurring thing. Tear duct flushes do the trick as does tiacil.

We have to be careful though as Brambles eye problems have caused a secondary infection before, meaning he has ended up with pneumonia.

I think it's just a common frenchie thing... they get stuck with dental problems or dental plus eye problems or just eye problems!

Brams has a thing about his ears too but he wasn't a very well looked after bun before coming here.

Frenchies can be prone to dry eyes and the dryness causes irritation which produces tearing. This is treated with synthetic tears to keep the eye moist and more comfortable.

Brams eyes are exactly the same. He doesn't have any dental problems at all.

For him, it's just a recurring thing. Tear duct flushes do the trick as does tiacil.

We have to be careful though as Brambles eye problems have caused a secondary infection before, meaning he has ended up with pneumonia.

I think it's just a common frenchie thing... they get stuck with dental problems or dental plus eye problems or just eye problems!

Brams has a thing about his ears too but he wasn't a very well looked after bun before coming here.

My cousin had him in a dog crate- he used to come out a lot but started "biting" and she's got 3 young children. He doesn't bite - but the last bun I took off her did- so I think its his flinching when you touch his head that got her scared. Full health check at the vet tomorrow and if they find no obvious teeth probs while he's out, I will see about a skull X-ray. Hopefully his mites will clear up soon and I will see if he needs more antibiotics for his ears. Least get him more comfortable anyway

I read somewhere (years ago) that you can bathe their eyes in cold chamomile tea. I usually soak a tissue, give them a very gentle wipe and leave it over the eye for a moment, before very carefully drying around the area.
I have found it works:).

Hope had runny eyes from time to time .. sometimes cleared up on their own sometimes needed tiacil to help..

Hopes molars were perfect and she never needed a dental ..

it was just something we had to deal with when it flared up .

What is Tiacil? I don't think my vet has ever given us that, might ask for it next time i'm there.

I read somewhere (years ago) that you can bathe their eyes in cold chamomile tea. I usually soak a tissue, give them a very gentle wipe and leave it over the eye for a moment, before very carefully drying around the area.
I have found it works:).

I have been bathing, I was just hoping to find the cause- if he had no other health problems, I would be less concerned but he may be seriously ill, with the weight loss etc.

He's been admitted. He's only been nurse checked so far, but vet is looking him over shortly, and he's also booked for an X-ray if they find nothing while he's under GA

Luke has some teeth issues at one side- and some cuts at the back of his mouth, so he's currently having a dental under GA. He's also got a deep ear infection, so I will be getting some antibiotics for him- but vet wants to try something stronger as he's already had two weeks baytril.

He's still under and they are going ahead with the neuter. How can some rabbits put up with so
Much **** and so much pain caused by ignorance yet still have the most amazing personalities.

Poor lad :cry:

Hope he will respond well to treatment. No wonder he was headshy, he must have had a raging earache and a very sore mouth :cry:

Ok, he's been re-mite treated, ears cleaned and has drops, dental down the right side, neutered, no drops for his eyes, but I'm to monitor the next week. If they continue to weep he's back at the vets - although he's back mon anyway to have his ears looked in.

Back