• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bad design water bottle?

cuteboyz

Warren Scout
A dripping water bottle drives me crackers, so when I saw this one I just had to have it. It guarantees it wont drip as it works on a valve system and not a pressure system like the ball bearing bottles. It has a flip top lid for easy filling, no more unscrewing the nossle, absolutely perfect apart from the fact it costs£10 :shock:
My hubby nearly fell through the floor at the price of it, its only a plastic bottle, but I insisted the boys just had to have it :lol:
It has fluid levels marked on the sides and yesterday when I changed the water and checked the levels it had hardly moved, thinking I had been so clever finding this non leaking bottle I just thought blimey the old bottle was leaking far more than I had previously realised :oops: and being as the buns eat lots of fresh foods I just thought they would maybe be getting most of their fluid intake from that :oops:
This morning when the level had barely dropped again I realised this couldn't be right, two days not drinking, something must be wrong. So I popped in a bowl of water and both boys ran to it, they were really really thirsty :cry:
I thought I was buying them the best, but either this valve system bottle just doesn't work properly or my bunnies just couldn't work out how to use it :cry:
£10 for a bottle that they can't drink out of :shock: it says it's especially for bunnies so I am returning it to the shop, I am so very annoyed :evil:
Has anyone else had issues with these?
IMGP4329.jpg

Its more natural for rabbits to have a bowl anyway, so a lot of us don't use water bottles :)

Its more natural for rabbits to have a bowl anyway, so a lot of us don't use water bottles :)

yes that is very very true :)
but my boys have a big lions mane and using a bowl soaks it so I just sort of thought a bottle was a little healthier for them than being wet, but maybe I'm wrong :?

yes that is very very true :)
but my boys have a big lions mane and using a bowl soaks it so I just sort of thought a bottle was a little healthier for them than being wet, but maybe I'm wrong :?

My lionlop gets it all over her chops and she cleans it off herself ,yeah, keep an eye on it by all means, but a bowl should be more natural - perhaps offer both :)

I have two quite fuffy lionhead crosses and they both manage to dry off when they do accidentally get their faces wet :thumb: I only use a bowl now instead of both because they kept getting frustrated at bottles not giving the water quick enough so would chew them... at 3am... :lol:

I took it back and they gave me a full refund :)
They said they were new on the market, they had only had them for about 3 weeks and because of the horrendous price I was the only person stupid enough to have bought one :lol:

As always, I'll recommend this one.
They're easy to drink from like a bowl but less messy and more convenient (for me at least). Totally worth the money if you ask me :)

I've had valve ones for my mice before and they're quite good, but only because the mice can push the valve in with a paw and then get a free flow of liquid. I can't imagine how a rabbit ever would be able to work them.

They said they were new on the market, they had only had them for about 3 weeks and because of the horrendous price I was the only person stupid enough to have bought one :lol:

Result! :)
(Mine much prefer a bowl, as others have said).

Thank you cuteboyz for posting this as i now know to stay away from these, i use the ballbearing type bottles, i put one on the bottom level of the cage and one on top level i also put a bowl of water out in their play area, but i like the ballbearing bottle cause when i hear it i know they are drinking (if i'm in kitchen etc so i can hear rather than see them using it lol)

But very good post, what are the rabbits supposed to do if it's a pressure system? do the makers think the bunnies will suck the water out? :shock:

The hay experts sell these bottles. The spout has a valve and when the animal licks it the water comes out I haven't used the bunnies one yet as they have a bowl but the hamster uses hers without any problems.

Back