• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are any of your rabbits microchipped?

Are any of your rabbits microchipped

• No

Votes: 73 63.5%
  • Yes, I had him/her/them done

Votes: 25 21.7%
  • Yes. He/she/they were done by rescue/previous owner

Votes: 17 14.8%

• Total voters

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
Just interested to know as I've taken the stand of it's *probably* not worth getting done as I doubt they would scan a rabbit for a microchip anyway... but that's not good thinking. So, if they aren't chipped did you decide not to or just haven't really given it any consideration?

Both of mine are done :)

Thank you.

I got a foster bun done as part of the preparation for new owner from the rescue. I've thought about it ever since but done nothing about it. (2.5 years) :oops::oops: I used to think as they are indoors and it's like fort knox but I now have indoor buns. I also think about, god forbid if I was in a road accident and one escaped :(

Only 1 of my 14 has been microchipped because she came from the RSPCA - my bunnies couldn't get out of my back garden and anyone near me finding a rabbit would come and ask me first anyway :oops::oops: to me it's an additional cost and a little bit of discomfort for my bunnies and I would rather spend the money on them in other ways. Maybe if I just had 1 or 2 and I lived somewhere where they might escape I would reconsider

Both of mine are.
Angel was done at the rescue she came from.
And Sydnee was done at the vets while he was being neutered (they do it for free if a pet is being spayed/neutered)

None of mine - I'm kinda hoping that my rabbit proofing & padlocks are adequate - plus I know our police said they didn't scan when my mate lost her dog last year

I haven't. I've considered getting Eli done because I know there's a chance he'd be caught if he ever did escape, but you wouldn't have a hope in hell of getting the other two.

Personally I wouldn't have mine done unless under a GA for something else. The needle is huge and there is often some bleeding. I've also got serious doubts to whether a rabbits micro chip would be scanned if they were found. My dogs and horse are all done, but not my buns.

A and F are they came from the RSPCA who chip automatically, the others arent. All three cats and Merry are too

None of mine are but I think about it a lot, and enquire at our vet's reception about it. I am worried it would hurt them if done conciously. But I also worry about them somehow getting stolen and then somehow finding them but not being able to prove they are mine.

No, and i doubt i ever would (although the concept is becoming more popular). I wont jinx myself by saying my buns would never escape, as it does happen, but i am usually with them when they are in the runs and at night they are in a shed, so cant escape.

Mine are, I got them done. For me, momentary discomfort (and it really didnt seem that painful for them, and didnt stress them out) and £20 per bun is well worth it to return them to me if they were lost. With a cat or dog you have the collar, with a rabbit you have nothing unless you chip them. If they were to stay indoor buns I may not have gotten it done, but I got it done as I knew they would be going into boarding and at some point in the future they may be outside buns.

I got it done for the same reason I get vaccs done - better safe than sorry, and better a small amount of discomfort to prevent a bigger problem later.

Personally I wouldn't have mine done unless under a GA for something else. The needle is huge and there is often some bleeding. I've also got serious doubts to whether a rabbits micro chip would be scanned if they were found. My dogs and horse are all done, but not my buns.

I didnt think the needle looked massive, wider than a usual one yes, but not huge, and there was no bleeding with my two. They flinched/twitched as the needle went in, but were fine straight after, not more stressed than a usual vet visit or anything.

Back