• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Heard of Fainting Goats? Well I have...

Status
Not open for further replies.

courtneydayle

Alpha Buck
Fainting Rabbits! One got out and we were chasing him around the yard. Finally caught him and went to put him up and noticed another was out. Started chasing him too but a little after that Dad stomped next to him and he just fell over, completely stiff. He's fine now, running around in the new hutch we stuck him in. It was so funny though! He just kealed over and stared at us until we picked him up.

Probably because he was petrified and scared witless, poor rabbit being treated like that:cry::cry::cry:

Yeah, sounds like he was terrified :( i know you had to catch them but a more gentle approach would be better... if they're scared they're going to run and be difficult to catch.

Fainting Rabbits! One got out and we were chasing him around the yard. Finally caught him and went to put him up and noticed another was out. Started chasing him too but a little after that Dad stomped next to him and he just fell over, completely stiff. He's fine now, running around in the new hutch we stuck him in. It was so funny though! He just kealed over and stared at us until we picked him up.

You were :censored: lucky he did not die

He was exhibiting a classic TERROR response.

To the poor Rabbits they were being chased by a predator (want to say more but...........)
So when caught the Rabbits assumed death would follow (..........)

So they feigned death in the hope that their attacker would leave them alone

Just an awful, awful scenario. Vile and the least funny thing I have ever read on this Forum

:cry:

Poor, poor Rabbits

That's not funny that's disgustingly sick.
What kind of response did you expect to get from posting this? :s

I feel some of the responses to the OP are unecessarily harsh! I'm sure the OP didn't deliberately set out to frighten their rabbits and clearly didn't realise that what they withnessed was a terror response. A factual interpretation of the event with advice to try a different approach next time would, I think, have got the point across just effectively (Like William and Bunnytoes responses).

You were :censored: lucky he did not die

He was exhibiting a classic TERROR response.

To the poor Rabbits they were being chased by a predator (want to say more but...........)
So when caught the Rabbits assumed death would follow (..........)

So they feigned death in the hope that their attacker would leave them alone

Just an awful, awful scenario. Vile and the least funny thing I have ever read on this Forum

Poor, poor Rabbits

My thought exactly :cry:

I feel some of the responses to the OP are unecessarily harsh! I'm sure the OP didn't deliberately set out to frighten their rabbits and clearly didn't realise that what they withnessed was a terror response. A factual interpretation of the event with advice to try a different approach next time would, I think, have got the point across just effectively (Like William and Bunnytoes responses).

Well said. :thumb: Keep it friendly please guys, we're here to help educate people not tell them off.

At the risk of overstepping the mark here I feel I have to say that the responses which may be deemed 'harsh' were no less 'harsh' to the recipient (the OP) than having to read posts depicting Rabbits suffering

Given that the OP claims that her Family's Meat Farm is well run I am more than a little surprised that basic knowledge of colony husbandry is apparently not known.

If this were to be the case then I politely suggest that the Farm Manager takes a few courses on species specific Animal Welfare to enable him/her to provide basic welfare standards for his/her stock.

ETA: This is the RSPCA's proposal for the Welfare of Farmed Rabbits

http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/farm/rabbits/whatarewedoing

Some information about Rabbit behaviour and what it means can be found here:

http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/pets/rabbits/behaviour/

Last edited:
At the risk of overstepping the mark here I feel I have to say that the responses which may be deemed 'harsh' were no less 'harsh' to the recipient (the OP) than having to read posts depicting Rabbits suffering

Given that the OP claims that her Family's Meat Farm is well run I am more than a little surprised that basic knowledge of colony husbandry is apparently not known.

If this were to be the case then I politely suggest that the Farm Manager takes a few courses on species specific Animal Welfare to enable him/her to provide basic welfare standards for his/her stock.

I don't think they actually have a meat farm, like a business, so there's no manager. It's just the OP and her dad, as far as I know.

That's beside the point really - 2 "wrongs" don't make a right and, just because people might have been upset by the first post, that doesn't mean they're allowed to disregard the forum rules (re. tone of posts etc) when they're replying.

And I use the word "wrong" very loosely because, unless anybody knows for a fact otherwise, perhaps we should give the OP the benefit of the doubt and assume that she didn't know that this was a fear response rather than assume she posted just to cause offence.

I'm glad bunny seems ok, next time try tempting him with treats? Like into a pet carrier or something, I know they won't be used to being handled but maybe a wee line of treats going into a carrier will help. Plus its better not stress the poor wee guy, coz whenever he sees you he'll associate you with being scared and getting chased.

ETA: This is the RSPCA's proposal for the Welfare of Farmed Rabbits

http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/farm/rabbits/whatarewedoing

Some information about Rabbit behaviour and what it means can be found here:

http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/pets/rabbits/behaviour/

Well said Jane.

How utterly strange that a post has to deal with farming's ethical issues and rabbit behaviour all at once. Totally beyond my comprehension.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has happened before on OP's threads. They are meat rabbits, and OK it is fine to have your personal views but try taking a step back when posting and think about how you will be making OP feel? Many, MANY meat rabbits are kept in appalling conditions. From what we have seen, OP's rabbits are in a fabulous environment. I don't think OP was trying to make this 'funny', and she may not have known that it was a sign of terror but instead of posting all these things about how the rabbit is 'suffering', and how it is vile etc, you could try and point out that it was a terror response and advise her and educate her on stuff like that? I'm NOT trying to get in an argument or tell anyone off, i want to make that clear, but I wish everyone would keep their views to themselves on stuff like this, I personally feel members have overstepped the mark here. I feel more sorry for OP then the rabbits to be honest.

Last edited:
Yeah, sounds like he was terrified :( i know you had to catch them but a more gentle approach would be better... if they're scared they're going to run and be difficult to catch.

This. Why didnt you try to herd them back calmly and in a friendly manner and then tempt them to you with food and pick them up? I have been in the exact same situation with a rabbit that is skittish and doesnt like being handled, but I did as I have described and she was soon back in her hutch, nice and calm and not terrified of me.

somewhere in the middle for me, a lot of the bluntness in Jane's post was needed, if I didn't know anything about rabbits/any living creature and was unwittingly causing one of them terror or suffering I would much rather someone shouted at me (so I was 100% clear on how serious it was) than pussy foot around and not get the message across

if you unwittingly cause terror to a human you might well be breaking the law (ignorance is no defence when it comes to humans), so although I'm sure the OP wouldn't want to cause the animal distress, it is important to understand just how much terror it could have been going through

there's a good balance on either side of posts trying to take everyone's views into consideration, which is what I would expect to see when posting as an OP on a forum for the first time

it's called debate, it is what i would expect on a forum and as long as people aren't being overly rude or insulting to someone personally, different and sometimes extreme/emotional viewpoints have to be expected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back