• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Age at which rabbits can start eating fresh veg.

LiamP

Young Bun
I was always under the impression that as soon as a kit is weaned off of mum that it can gradually have fresh veg (leafy greens etc) introduced into its diet.

I have heard a lot of people say that they should have ANY fresh veg until the age of 16 weeks.

Is there a correct answer or does it differ between people?

Last edited:
This is a very good question and one I will be interested to see replys too, We got 7 week old rabbits off a breeder who said no greens until 16 weeks, we were also told by our local vets that the strongly disagreed with this and they should be eating fresh grass and forage especially dandelian leaves.

Our vet told us our buns should not be eating pellets at all (at 8 weeks) and should only be eating hay and greens! I feel it depends on the bun and how they get on with it? Introduce maybe one a week so they are used to it and you can tell if anything has upset their tummy.

If the Mother is fed veg whilst she is raising the kits then they will nibble at them from about 3-4 weeks of age. They can continue to eat what Mum eats.

Baby Rabbits bought from Pet Shops or when a reliable account of their first 8 weeks of life cannot be obtained are best not fed Veg till they are about 12 weeks of age, certainly not for the first couple of weeks after purchase.

All new food types should be introduced in small portions and one type at a time.

As what jane has said my babies are 8 weeks old and eat greens carrots parsley coriander had little bit of cauliflower and broccoli but they were born here and have been eating what mum has been eating

Back