• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bugsy and toffee bonding, tips apreiciated! :)

just rescued a beautiful neutered belguin hare, he was being flogged for free on a local selling site, so i thought i'd take him on before he got into the wrong hands, and have him as a companion for my lionhead doe, who's last mate died a few weeks ago :( he is quite big, luckily has a brilliant temperement, i have housed him in a seperate cage for tonight to get used to his new home, but how do i go about bonding them? they are both so lovely and would love for them to get on, thanks xxx

just rescued a beautiful neutered belguin hare, he was being flogged for free on a local selling site, so i thought i'd take him on before he got into the wrong hands, and have him as a companion for my lionhead doe, who's last mate died a few weeks ago :( he is quite big, luckily has a brilliant temperement, i have housed him in a seperate cage for tonight to get used to his new home, but how do i go about bonding them? they are both so lovely and would love for them to get on, thanks xxx

try putting them both in a neutral territory, so its unfamiliar to the both of them- the bathtub is an excellent place to start!

good luck :)

try putting them both in a neutral territory, so its unfamiliar to the both of them- the bathtub is an excellent place to start!

good luck :)

I'd not recommend a bath as rabbits can be scared and easily slip or try to jump out. Injuries are more likely in my opinion using a bath. And also when you need to leave them overnight or when you leave the room, you have no way of keeping them in there. I'd suggest an indoor cage base with a puppy pen around it - that's what I do anyway and it seems to be just about the right amount of space.

If you'd like to e-mail me I can send you some info on how I bond for my rescue. It's the method where you start the bond and continue until they are happy or until you decide that it's not worth it.

Basic method is neutral space, small space, don't keep stopping and starting, put aside lots of time (a few days at the very least) where you can watch them 24/7. Keep something like a towel handy to drop in between them or over them if they start to chase. Use distraction methods like scattering pellets or dried herbs/leaves/grasses etc in the hay. Don't use more than one litter tray as you might find that they chose a tray each. If possible don't use a tray at all but use a cage base as the bonding area and fill the whole thing with hay (helps prevent tray guarding). Oh and in case it's not obivious, both should be neutered and have been allowed about 3-5 or so weeks before you try and bond them post op.

My e-mail if you'd like my info is therabbitcrossing@yahoo.co.uk

Helen

thanks for the tips guys! i went for my hallway, neutral and not too big or too small, they have been on two dates now and apart from some dominance humping from my doe which i stopped as soon as it happened its going well, they have even both snuggled up next to eachother :) looking promising :p

Back