• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit's memories

cpayne

Warren Veteran
Does anyone know how long a rabbit's memory is for? I read somewhere that they remember things in the past like if it's a bad experience etc but normally days aren't that memorable!

Doughnut is going to a bunnery for a week when I go on holiday. It's lovely but she won't have nowhere near the amount of room she has at home and the outdoor enclosures are pretty small too, so no running around. I'm guessing she will remember me but I'm hoping she won't remember too much and miss her freedom and being spoilt!

I'm not sure how long it is, guesse just the same as us?
Ofc shell remember you and shell be so happy to see you when you get back :)

She'll definately remember past a week! :lol: The longest I've spent from mine is 5 days, I've done that twice, and each time when I've gotten back B has been snuggling up to me loads, licking me, he even licked my head last time, which he never does as its such a submissive gesture, he obviously missed me. He also remembers the vet in between visits, although the longest he's gone without a visit is about a month and a half I think.

If the place doesnt have as large accommodation as you'd like, why dont you book her in somewhere that has larger?

I've looked at a few in my area and it is by far the best. He does it as a job not as just a part time thing.

All the outdoor runs for all of them seem to be the same, it's the triangular ones with a hide. She's used to a 5ft by 5ft run and free rein of the house when I'm in!

I've looked at a few in my area and it is by far the best. He does it as a job not as just a part time thing.

All the outdoor runs for all of them seem to be the same, it's the triangular ones with a hide. She's used to a 5ft by 5ft run and free rein of the house when I'm in!

Those triangle runs are usually smaller than hutches. To be honest, if the man doesnt know the minimum sizes of accommodation that rabbits are supposed to have, then I would suspect that his knowledge is lacking in other areas as well. Can you not get someone to visit your bun in your own home, or go outside your area? Good boarding places are hard to find, but it is essential that you choose somewhere that knows their stuff. There are a few people on here that do it, and quite a few rescues (both on here and not) do it too.

They are the outdoor runs and she's in a hutch in an air conditioned shed in the evening and night and if the weather isn't great.

It was a lovely set up, very clean and he'd given them dandelions and cut sticks off his apple tree to give to them. I'm sure he knows what he's doing but wherever I look they seem to use the triangle runs.

My friend said she would come round to feed her but she loves company and I like her to have exercise. I can't ask my friend to stay a couple of hours a day so she can run around and don't want her to see someone just for 10 minutes and that's that as she's very sociable.

He does have a very good reputation. He looks after chincillas as well and people booked their pets in with him from the other side of London and he's in Kent.

She will remember you!

I was just on holiday for a week there with OH watching H&I. When I came back Inca was right over to me.....Herbie was wary, but then he is a wee freak all the time!

They are the outdoor runs and she's in a hutch in an air conditioned shed in the evening and night and if the weather isn't great.

It was a lovely set up, very clean and he'd given them dandelions and cut sticks off his apple tree to give to them. I'm sure he knows what he's doing but wherever I look they seem to use the triangle runs.

My friend said she would come round to feed her but she loves company and I like her to have exercise. I can't ask my friend to stay a couple of hours a day so she can run around and don't want her to see someone just for 10 minutes and that's that as she's very sociable.

He does have a very good reputation. He looks after chincillas as well and people booked their pets in with him from the other side of London and he's in Kent.

Well, each to their own, but it sounds like if you kept her at home in her 5x5ft run indoors she would have much more space to exercise than in a huutch and a run thats even smaller than a hutch. You could always hire a pet sitter to come do visits.

The 5ft run is for her outside. Indoors she has a hutch with a 3ft pen added on. It is more room but I don't like the thought of her being alone all the time, would rather she had company.

What does everyone else do when they go away? The other places I looked at were run by mums who did it as a part time job and I didn't want that.

Yes I thought she would remember me, looking forward to my break but lovely to pick her up too. Going straight from the airport!

We went away Tuesday (5am) to Saturday (10pm) and left ours in their shed, I was really worried, as they have such a routine - they go back in at 7.45 am every morning without fail, I can set my watch to them, and at 9pm they either take themselves to our door (if theyre in the house) or back in their shed, so I was really worried about leaving them, but the nearest suitable accomodation was a bit far to go (tia is a stressed bunny) - I was worried cos they didn't get as much run round time as usual (an hour in the morning, and 3+ hours in the evening, free roam of half garden / whole house) - but they were fine, and they remembered us.... Rupert jumped on my lap and just stared at me - like he was trying to either tell me not to ever go away again, or to say to me 'where the hell have you been?' or to just check i was me! It was so cute!

Your bunny will be fine whatever you decide to do, and will defo still remember you :D

Have a lovely holiday!! xx

We get a house sitter, usually a friends daughter (she's 22), it means the buns can stay where they are, have all the same things, smells etc maybe a slightly different routine as I can't always guarantee that they are feed at 6am - like I do, some people dont get out of bed at silly o'clock.
We went to America for a month a few years ago and the buns were fine, they were no different to us when we got back, maybe that was because they were in the house as usual.
We are going away in a few weeks, we don't book a holiday unless the house sitter is free.
Also means your house is safer whilst your away :D

Thanks everyone for your replies.

The place isn't too far away as I didn't want her on a long car journey either as she hates the carrier, and don't want her stressed as that would stressed me. It's only a week so sure she will be fine with the restricted freedom for a while. She always sleeps really well if she's been out in the garden so since he puts the rabbits out if it's nice, she will be knocked out!

Rupert sounds cute. Doughnut always jumps on my lap in the morning and puts her paws on my chest, waiting for her pellets. As soon as they're gone, she's off. Don't get any cuddles otherwise but lots of nudging if I haven't stroked her or spoken to her for a while.

Back