• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would a Predator have entered my kitchen?

Carley

Warren Scout
Last night at around 9pm I was in the lounge when I heard an almighty noise coming from the kitchen/dining room. Kyle, my boy bun was in his enclosure in the kitchen and it sounded as though he ran at speed and knocked the bars of the pen before hiding in his hidey box. He was trembling when I went out and continued to thump his foot for a few minutes.

Obviously I and my husband checked the house for a cat or something but I just never thought that an animal would come in? The back door was open as I was in and out getting the washing in. I had only left the kitchen a couple of minutes before. We have a very secure and enclosed garden. It has a brick wall about 7ft high going all the way around with a solid gate. I don't know if foxes can jump that high?

What do you think it was that spooked him?

I will not be leaving the back door open again obviously! Luckily Kyle was to spend the night in the lounge anyway so that Matilda and he could date through their enclosures. He instantly relaxed once in the lounge.

It really freaked me out. :(

Quite possibly a cat nearby as they will randomly invite themselves to people's houses!
Also a fox would definitely come in if it smelt food.

Jacks-Jane that's awful. What measures do you take to make sure they don't get into your house now?

Oh my goodness. I guess that answers my question then. I am so sorry that you had to go through that.

I will definitely be more vigilant in the future. Thank goodness we just had a scare. It could have been much worse.

We've had cats come in to our house through an open back door despite the fact we have our own cats and at the time two rather big dogs!

Jack's Jane, that's an awful thing to happen, really horrible. :cry:

Quite possibly a cat nearby as they will randomly invite themselves to people's houses!
Also a fox would definitely come in if it smelt food.

Jacks-Jane that's awful. What measures do you take to make sure they don't get into your house now?

I dont leave windows/doors open downstairs

Foxes have even been know to come in through open doors and attack babies so its definitely a possability x

I'm guessing it could be either as foxes round my way aren't scared at all and I read on here they can clear at least a 6ft fence, but a cat would probably have scared your rabbit as well.

A month or so ago Doughnut was in her enclosure outside and I looked up and a massive fox was chasing her, never seen one that big. Chased it off but first of all she was frozen in fright and then she launched herself at the bars of her enclosure, really strange, which sounds like what your little bun did. I bought her in and she was thumping and making the most awful sound, it sounded like when a human is sobbing and gasping for air. She was OK after a while and I gave her some pellets but it certainly shocked me and even though I always kept my eye on her, I now feel I can't leave her outside without me being there!

Thank you for the replies everyone. It just goes to show how lucky we were yesterday evening. Makes me sick to think what could have happened. I will not make that mistake again.

I never thought that anything would have entered our home and because Kyle was just in a puppy pen there was no secure roof so anything could have got in.

I'm guessing it could be either as foxes round my way aren't scared at all and I read on here they can clear at least a 6ft fence, but a cat would probably have scared your rabbit as well.

A month or so ago Doughnut was in her enclosure outside and I looked up and a massive fox was chasing her, never seen one that big. Chased it off but first of all she was frozen in fright and then she launched herself at the bars of her enclosure, really strange, which sounds like what your little bun did. I bought her in and she was thumping and making the most awful sound, it sounded like when a human is sobbing and gasping for air. She was OK after a while and I gave her some pellets but it certainly shocked me and even though I always kept my eye on her, I now feel I can't leave her outside without me being there!

Gosh. I am so sorry that happened. Sounds horrific.

Thanks. I think she has totally forgotten about it but I haven't. I now don't put her out when I get home from work at 6.30 for an hour as not taking the risk. It's a shame but better safe than sorry. Just so pleased she didn't die from fright.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. It's so annoying as in this weather you want your windows open!

Thanks. I think she has totally forgotten about it but I haven't. I now don't put her out when I get home from work at 6.30 for an hour as not taking the risk. It's a shame but better safe than sorry. Just so pleased she didn't die from fright.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. It's so annoying as in this weather you want your windows open!

Luckily our house is very cool so we don't really need anything open if we are not in that room. It is a good job really as I am quite nervous now!

I'm don't know if this is possible but a weasel/ferret maybe?? That sounds like how Oreo acts when my ferret is around him. I know ferrets are commonly outside pets around there so maybe one got loose and made it's way in?? They can fit through very small spaces.

We had a cat enter our house through my balcony door :shock:

No idea how on earth it happened. Seems that you can never be too careful! :shock:

Foxes can jump the highest of fences. I used to see them jumping over all the time in our old flat in London. We had really high wooden fencing.

Back