• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lewis - Rex foster bun with sore hocks, front paws and chin

ShazzaBunny

Warren Veteran
Lewis :love::love::love:

557501_10151157877986416_441315538_n.jpg

I am fostering Lewis for Fairly Beloved Rabbit Care. He came to me yesterday, and i was forwarned he had sore hocks, but i still got a lump to my throat when i saw his paws (they bled when i lifted him from his carry box :(). He also has a wee sore chin, its scabby, bald and lumpy. He is now bedded on a double layer of fleece and a nice piece of vetbed :D.

Front paws are both like this

420016_10151157877496416_1332636543_n.jpg

Back paws

539045_10151157878156416_871171759_n.jpg

Excuse the goolie :oops:

297659_10151157877611416_1920593793_n.jpg

Not a great picture, but you see a bit of his chin

561912_10151157878071416_929542431_n.jpg

But he is gorgeous :love:

574558_10151157877741416_1163843607_n.jpg

And friendly :love:

319477_10151157877851416_1238295566_n.jpg

And i will nurse him back to health and care for him until someone comes and offers him a forever home :D.

Lewis says thanks for the lovely compliments :D

Jane, thank you, thats an interesting article :D, and the pictures of the facial lesions do look like that on Lewis' chin. However, as far as i know he was a pet rabbit, so im not sure if he would have an STD :?? His genitals and anus are clean and healthy looking :D. We are treating with fuciderm cream as a sort of dermatitis (after a tooth check at the vet his teeth seem in good shape so not so sure it is caused by drool like i first suspected). We may move onto an oral antibiotic if his chin does not clear up.

Lewis says thanks for the lovely compliments :D

Jane, thank you, thats an interesting article :D, and the pictures of the facial lesions do look like that on Lewis' chin. However, as far as i know he was a pet rabbit, so im not sure if he would have an STD :?? His genitals and anus are clean and healthy looking :D. We are treating with fuciderm cream as a sort of dermatitis (after a tooth check at the vet his teeth seem in good shape so not so sure it is caused by drool like i first suspected). We may move onto an oral antibiotic if his chin does not clear up.

Pet Rabbits who have never been used for breeding can still get treponematosis. It can be passed from the mother to the kits and remain dormant, only to flare up at a later stage. Lesions do not always effect the genitals. In the cases I have seen all had just the facial lesions. If it is treponematosis I'd get his heart checked too. Just my experience with Rexes, their hearts and having 'active' treponematosis.

If it is treponematosis it should respond well to a course of Depocillin :)

Thanks CoffeePuffin :D

Pet Rabbits who have never been used for breeding can still get treponematosis. It can be passed from the mother to the kits and remain dormant, only to flare up at a later stage. Lesions do not always effect the genitals. In the cases I have seen all had just the facial lesions. If it is treponematosis I'd get his heart checked too. Just my experience with Rexes, their hearts and having 'active' treponematosis.

If it is treponematosis it should respond well to a course of Depocillin :)

Thank you Jane :D.
I will try and get some better chin pictures, it does look very like the pictures from the article though. Have you seen it in quite a few rabbits? His heart sounded fine at the vets :D.

Thank you Jane :D.
I will try and get some better chin pictures, it does look very like the pictures from the article though. Have you seen it in quite a few rabbits? His heart sounded fine at the vets :D.

I have seen Treponematosis in Rexes and in other breeds too. It is not so much that it is breed specific, but that the Rexes who were effected were later found to have heart disease too. None of the other cases I have seen have gone on to develop heart problems. But my theory is that Rexes are more prone to HD. It may just have been a coincidence with my effected Rexes, but it is something I would always consider now.

None of the Rabbits I have seen who had active Treponematosis had ever been mated up so must have contracted it from their Mother. The condition is contagious when there are lesions, so any in contact Rabbits could be effected.

I have seen Treponematosis in Rexes and in other breeds too. It is not so much that it is breed specific, but that the Rexes who were effected were later found to have heart disease too. None of the other cases I have seen have gone on to develop heart problems. But my theory is that Rexes are more prone to HD. It may just have been a coincidence with my effected Rexes, but it is something I would always consider now.

None of the Rabbits I have seen who had active Treponematosis had ever been mated up so must have contracted it from their Mother. The condition is contagious when there are lesions, so any in contact Rabbits could be effected.

How would we go about diagnosing for sure?
He is kept in his own pen here, there are other rabbits in the shed, but i always ensure stricter quarenteen when giving treatment :D.

How would we go about diagnosing for sure?
He is kept in his own pen here, there are other rabbits in the shed, but i always ensure stricter quarenteen when giving treatment :D.

Quite often a presumptive diagnosis is made based on findings at examination (lesions) and response to treatment (Depocillin, usually once a week for 3 weeks. Lesions start to resolve after the first dose in many cases)

There is serological testing (blood testing), skin scrapes or skin biopsies, but all mine were diagnosed based on response to treatment and how the lesions looked.

Back