• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anxious

dutchbunny

Mama Doe
My darling Watson is in today to get spayed. I am an anxious mum as I never had a girl done before! Boys plenty of times and that is just less invasive. I can call at 2pm to see how she is doing and I know the morning will just drag. My husband did chuckle at me for being so nervous but they are our babies. We haven't got any kids yet and my life especially revolves around my bunnies. I'd do anything for them 2.

I have woodchips in the cage normally but what would you recommend is the best aftercare I can give her tonight?

aww bless her. I hope it all goes well.

Maybe something a bit softer than woodchips in her cage, an old blanket, towel or something comfy for her to lay on. Make sure the vets give her pain relief after her spay. Keep an eye on her and make sure she is eating drinking and pooing and comfortable. If you are worried about anything call your vet or ask us for advice.

It is a worrying time. I was sooooo worried about my girl when she was done. These things usually go OK though :D

Hope your bunny will be fine, just give her a couple of days to start feeling back to normal. I have had quite a few girls spayed and it never gets any easier. Got 2 booked in on Thursday, a boy and a girl, who I hope will be bonded in the near future. I've found that they never want their pellets for a day or two but will nibble grass or spring greens.

I hope it goes well :D
I was a nervous wreck when Matilda went in. But she was absolutely fine. I put a towel on top of the lino she usually has to keep her warm.

I know that you will worry as that is what we do :)

I will definitely put a blanket in her cage. Do you think I should keep her seperate for a while so I can check for food and droppings etc.? Just not liking the idea of her being away from Moses. They are so close those two and I bet Moses is wondering where she is today. I can call in 40 minutes to find out how she is doing.

Good luck, I was a nervous wreck when i got doughnut home, she didn't eat for a day but she wasn't in any pain as she jumped up onto a ledge as soon as I got her home and before I put her in her hutch!

Make sure you get about 5 days of pain relief, and I was also given fibreplex. I can't syringe fed her, too stressful so I added it on to a small piece of weetabix which she loved. She only has a bit when I have to give her meds.

Is your rabbit indoors? If so they don't need wood chips, doughnut has newspaper and a fleece blanket.

She loves her pellets but I found that took a few days before she wanted them. Herbs are good to get in as most eat them or try dandelions, anything to get her eating again, but like I say doughnut took a while to start eating. She was spayed about 3pm and started eating about 11am the following day.

Is your rabbit indoors? If so they don't need wood chips, doughnut has newspaper and a fleece blanket.

We had to switch to wood chips as she was just a fussy one. Didnt like news paper, blankets etc. Wouldn't accept anything. The only thing she likes are the wood chips. They are indoors as we got so many foxes in our area.
Vet just called to say the surgery has gone well but she's not eating so they are syringe feeding her. She is very lively though so that is good. Picking her up at 5.

Last edited:
Hope she's okay. No news is normally good news so fingers crossed all is well. :wave:

Great, try her with her favourite things but try not to panic if she's not hungry, she's had a big op. I also gave Doughnut a bowl to drink out of as well as her bottle, she still went for the bottle but it's easier for them out of a bowl.

Doughnut loves her fleece, it's strange what they like. She loves towels as well and sheets, a sheet may be nice for her as cooling in this weather.

Great, try her with her favourite things but try not to panic if she's not hungry, she's had a big op. I also gave Doughnut a bowl to drink out of as well as her bottle, she still went for the bottle but it's easier for them out of a bowl.

Doughnut loves her fleece, it's strange what they like. She loves towels as well and sheets, a sheet may be nice for her as cooling in this weather.

The vet said she didnt want her carrot which she normally devours. I will put a towel in the cage tonight as I dont want any wood chips sticking to her. She's very likely to just chuck em to the side again, knowing her. I tried fleece, normal towels, sheets. She wants nothing to do with it. She is quite the little madam. Moses is way more relaxed. He doesnt care about these silly little things.

Well she's home but looking quite poorly. Didn't get more painkillers as they gave her some strong stuff already. Need to take her back in 3 and 7 days. She is sitting really quietly at the moment. She did drink some and had a wee.

Do you think it wise for me to put her separately tonight so I can put her by my bedside so I can keep an eye on her? Don't like seeing my girl like this.

If she hasn't pick up more by the morning I would call the vet as she may need more painkillers.

I don't have experience of girl rabbits, but I had my buck, Spenser, in my bedroom for a few days after his neuter so that I could keep an eye on him.

The sooner she eats the better, so keep tempting her with her favourites.

If she hasn't pick up more by the morning I would call the vet as she may need more painkillers.

I don't have experience of girl rabbits, but I had my buck, Spenser, in my bedroom for a few days after his neuter so that I could keep an eye on him.

The sooner she eats the better, so keep tempting her with her favourites.

The vet did say she had some food whilst still there so just have to be patient.

My poor girl. She spent most of the eve in the toilet but now knocked over her water bowl all over the towel and is sitting in it. Bizarrely I think she likes it. She can hop back into the toilet or move to a dry part but she doesn't. I don't want to replace the towel as I know I will cause her pain and more distress as she is sitting on top of it. My husband is staying up late to keep an eye on her. Moses is a bad partner. He spen most of the eve away from her with the exception of them sharing the toilet when he had to go. I was in tears earlier as I can bear to see her like this.

My poor girl. She spent most of the eve in the toilet but now knocked over her water bowl all over the towel and is sitting in it. Bizarrely I think she likes it. She can hop back into the toilet or move to a dry part but she doesn't. I don't want to replace the towel as I know I will cause her pain and more distress as she is sitting on top of it. My husband is staying up late to keep an eye on her. Moses is a bad partner. He spen most of the eve away from her with the exception of them sharing the toilet when he had to go. I was in tears earlier as I can bear to see her like this.

I hope she feels better in the morning. Remember she has had quite an invasive operation, and it's not unusual for recovery to take longer than we would like. Definitely call your vet in the morning and report any concerns you have. xx

Am happy to say that she's made a massive improvement overnight. She's eating, had tiny droppings and is very lively. What a relief!

How is your wee girl feeling today? Sitting in a damp towel may have provided relief for her if she was sore underneath but I would not let her get too wet or stay damp for too long. Heat relief might be just as effective. You could give her a heatpad, heatbag or hot water bottled wrapped in a towel for her to sit on. To encourage her to eat you could also try adding hot water to her pellets and mashing it up with a fork. Rabbits when anaesthetised get a tube down their throats to carry the gas and for those of you humans who have had surgery you will know what an invasive and sore feeling is left in your throat which would put anyone off eating. So soft foods like mashed pellets, parsley and dill are best offered. And plenty of water, make sure she is drinking enough.

How is your wee girl feeling today? Sitting in a damp towel may have provided relief for her if she was sore underneath but I would not let her get too wet or stay damp for too long. Heat relief might be just as effective. You could give her a heatpad, heatbag or hot water bottled wrapped in a towel for her to sit on. To encourage her to eat you could also try adding hot water to her pellets and mashing it up with a fork. Rabbits when anaesthetised get a tube down their throats to carry the gas and for those of you humans who have had surgery you will know what an invasive and sore feeling is left in your throat which would put anyone off eating. So soft foods like mashed pellets, parsley and dill are best offered. And plenty of water, make sure she is drinking enough.

I let het sit on the towel on the first night but replaced it first thing in the morning. She is looking like nothing happened to her at all. She eats well and hops well. Only had really smelly soft droppings yesterday but seems to be fine again today. She is going for her check up on Saturday but the wound is looking really nice and not running or anything. So fingers crossed things continue like this.

Back