• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Matted bottom, scared bunny - help

CoffeePuffin

Warren Scout
My female bun is a 2 year old (approx), unneutured Lionhead with very long fur. I took her in from my Sister in Law around Christmas time because she couldn't look after her anymore. I named her Scruffbutt.

When I got her she was in a quite a bad state, she had - very overgrown claws, a weepy eye, was thin and frail (she had been left in a hutch outside in the snow), was extremely scared and had poo matted all around her bottom because it had got attached to all of her fur. I, of course, cleaned her up. I left her alone for the first night and then I started to nurse her back to health. I trimmed her claws, tended to her eye, trimmed and cleaned her bottom and started to get her weight up. Over time she became less scared, and after a few weeks of interactions with my neutured male, they became bonded and they adore each other.

I started trimming her fur everywhere, especially her bottom, every other day to keep on top of it so she wouldn't get matted again. But recently I had neglected to do it for about a week because I am heavily pregnant, can't bend down and have really been suffering with a multitude of things. I know it's no excuse though.. I checked her bottom a few days ago and she was all matted again. I trimmed as much as I could before she started to get agitated. I am always really careful when trimming her there but I accidentally caught her with the tiny scissors and cut her slightly and she bled. She made noises and I felt absolutely terrible. Of course then, she wouldn't keep still so I couldn't finish trimming her. I put her back in her crate and left her alone for the night.

Last night I attempted to finish what I started, finish trimming her and wash her so she would be clean and not get sore, cause she must be sore.. She started grunting and squeaking as soon as I went to open the crate door. And as I went to get her she tried to attack me. I left her alone for a little while, then tried again but she wasn't having any of it. She will not let me near her and to be honest I'm a bit scared of being ripped to shreds!

I feel so guilty and awful. I need to check her so I can finish cleaning her but she won't let me near. I have a feeling I'm going to have to take her to the vets. Which I will do regardless of the price, but money is really tight because work have failed to provide me with the maternity pay they should have sorted out months ago.

I've been crying a lot over this. Maybe it's the pregnancy hormones. But I feel so guilty that I let her get to that stage. And now she is terrified of me and it's like I'm back to square one with her.

Also my male needs his claws trimmed but he won't let me trim them. Last time I tried, he kicked me in the face. I feel like a bad rabbit mum and don't deserve them.

You say she was un-spayed, but don't mention that you've had her spayed since. It's possible her hormones are strong and she's simply acting on impulse due to them. Is it possible to look at getting her spayed?

Personally, i'd take her to a vet to have a full check up and get them to trim her while you are tehre and discuss a spay.

You say she was un-spayed, but don't mention that you've had her spayed since. It's possible her hormones are strong and she's simply acting on impulse due to them. Is it possible to look at getting her spayed?

Personally, i'd take her to a vet to have a full check up and get them to trim her while you are tehre and discuss a spay.

No, she is still unspayed. I had every intention of spaying her within a month of two of getting her back to health but then we found out I was pregnant, have been trying to get the dog spayed and my job has neglected to give me the money that I am entitled to.

My baby is due soon and I have signs that I may go into labour early. My partner is at work everyday and doesn't drive, so I'll need to find someone to take me to take her to the vets. I will do it, it's just a matter of when I can. I realise I seem terrible right now.

I am sorry to hear that you are having these problems. What a stressful time for you and the buns.

I don't have much advice as I am very new to rabbits but if I was in your position I would call the vets and see if they do a 'nurse clinic'. When Matilda had some mattes in her fur I took her to the clinic and they trimmed her fur and didn't even charge me. If I would have paid I think it would have been about £7.00. They have also trimmed my buns claws for a couple of pounds.

The other option is if there is any around who could help you? I was lucky to find a rabbit enthusiast in my street that trimmed my buns claws and gave them a good dematting and grooming session.

It sounds like you are really turning your new buns life around so please don't feel bad.

Good Luck.

I'd be inclined to take her to the vets too. It should be much easier for them to trim her/clean her as there will be two of them and very used to restraining wriggling rabbits. It will be such a relief for you when it's been done that it will be worth spending the money, even though things are tight. Maybe they could clip/shave all the 'at risk' area to make it as easy as possible for you to keep on top of in the coming weeks.

I could be pregnancy hormones but I've never had them and I get really upset too when I'm trying to help a rabbit that just won't be helped, it's so upsetting scaring them.

I realise I seem terrible right now.

No you don't! You obviously have a lot to cope with and you are doing your best to help her.

Last edited:
I'd be inclined to take her to the vets too. It should be much easier for them to trim her/clean her as there will be two of them and very used to restraining wriggling rabbits. It will be such a relief for you when it's been done that it will be worth spending the money, even though things are tight. Maybe they could clip/shave all the 'at risk' area to make it as easy as possible for you to keep on top of in the coming weeks.

I could be pregnancy hormones but I've never had them and I get really upset too when I'm trying to help a rabbit that just won't be helped, it's so upsetting scaring them.

I'll borrow money if I have to. I just don't know if I will be able to get her spayed right now.

I've booked her in with the nurse for tomorrow. The receptionist said because it's just a clean up that it would be easier to see the nurse. If the nurse thinks she needs to be seen by a vet though, I will gladly pay the consultation fee. I've also booked my male in for his claws.

I feel a bit silly for making the post now, as I was going to book her in the vets anyway. I was just feeling bad and needed to write it somewhere I think..

Sorry for wasting time.

I've booked her in with the nurse for tomorrow. The receptionist said because it's just a clean up that it would be easier to see the nurse. If the nurse thinks she needs to be seen by a vet though, I will gladly pay the consultation fee. I've also booked my male in for his claws.

I feel a bit silly for making the post now, as I was going to book her in the vets anyway. I was just feeling bad and needed to write it somewhere I think..

Sorry for wasting time.

So glad that you have managed to get an appointment. Please don't feel bad for making the post. If it has helped in anyway then it has been worth it.

Please keep us updated.

Maybe you will be best getting her spayed after your baby is born. Obviously not straight away but in a couple of months.

I'm definitely getting her spayed, it's just we have had so much going on that it's not a priority right now. Main thing is getting her bum sorted so she is comfortable. Once baby is here, and we are on our feet, I will book her in for a spay.

Back