• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The new Happy Hutch *pics*

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
Finished the hutch over the weekend and got Heidi moved in :) For anyone who doesn't already know, this is only temporary for Heidi and will be for my guinea pig after Heidi is hopefully bonded with my other 2 :)

I painted inside and out with garden shades seagrass (was leaving legs but may paint them another time), put Lino down (not done a great job but will prob insulate walls for guinea pig and reseal the edges). Also changed the plastic catches on the doors with bolts and added a hasp for a padlock.
0e66007c.jpg

Inside main section
a10c9749.jpg

158002dc.jpg

Ready for Heidi with seed tray litter trays from B&Q (colour coordinated natch ;) )
3fa08c92.jpg

Looks tiny now with trays in!!

The 1st tentative steps...
c3fc2aed.jpg

Hmm what's in here?
7fb33889.jpg

My water bowl....
10a7771c.jpg

Hay....
a9443edd.jpg

Ooh there's all that yummy grass, how do I get down there?
f446d65d.jpg

Ooh I like the colour on the walls!
6c3c2d7b.jpg

That grass smells so good...
9883fb3f.jpg

55a7561b.jpg

cdf5cb38.jpg

e15cc61d.jpg

66322cff.jpg

Very lucky bun she is! It looks great!

Thanks, thinking its a bit boring, wanted to hang some things from roof but there's no supports and wood looks quite thin. Hoping it stands upto snow!! Suppose I could add my own supports. Iv put her toys and willow sticks etc in the bed bit so she does have some toys! Will be making some changes before guinea pig goes in anyway :)

Thanks, thinking its a bit boring, wanted to hang some things from roof but there's no supports and wood looks quite thin. Hoping it stands upto snow!! Suppose I could add my own supports. Iv put her toys and willow sticks etc in the bed bit so she does have some toys! Will be making some changes before guinea pig goes in anyway :)

How is she liking it then?? What did you use to put the lino down?? You have made me wanna paint the inside of the hutch now! :).

Keep comnig back to look :lol: She's so pretty :love: The one thing I don't get is why they make the bedroom bit so big, it loses main area space for them :? Whatever though :lol: My pairs "bedroom" is over a foot so I think they have about 5ft main bit space, they're never in there though! :lol: the bed bit has a carpet square in.. it's just somewhere dark for them to go :lol:

How is she liking it? :D :D

How is she liking it then?? What did you use to put the lino down?? You have made me wanna paint the inside of the hutch now! :).

I know this isn't aimed at me :oops: but we used a decent amount of the wide double sided stciky tape and nailed the edged down as we have a wooden lip going around. I bought a new roll from aldi the other day, £2.59! It's been fine :D some inital chewing :roll: but they ignore it now :)

Thanks everyone :wave: Kerry she is still a bit nervy in it, she's fine sat in her litter tray, the dogs went to say good morning to her this morn and that was fine but when I approached she bolted to the bed :roll: She soon realised I was the one with the brekkie tho and popped her head put when she smelt yummy herbs :lol: She should be used to outside noises etc as I left the window slightly open in the room she was in inside, also so her and the guinea pig didn't get used to being too warm :) but I suppose any change in environment is a bit stressful. Poor thing doesn't know she'll be moving again in a couple of weeks!

Above answer to Aly aswell :lol: just noticed ur new posts! As for the Lino, I used silicone (my dad used to stick everything with silicone!) but saw tape at shop after and thought doh that would've worked so much better! I may end up pulling it up and starting again as the silicone iv put round the edges just peels off. Yeah the bed area is big I thought that myself but for guinea pig it'll be good cos il be able to fit extra boxes and hidey places in for him. Also when I measured for the Lino, the actual inside dimensions/floor space is quite a bit less than 2x5 so glad I didn't get 4ft!

Above answer to Aly aswell :lol: just noticed ur new posts! As for the Lino, I used silicone (my dad used to stick everything with silicone!) but saw tape at shop after and thought doh that would've worked so much better! I may end up pulling it up and starting again as the silicone iv put round the edges just peels off. Yeah the bed area is big I thought that myself but for guinea pig it'll be good cos il be able to fit extra boxes and hidey places in for him. Also when I measured for the Lino, the actual inside dimensions/floor space is quite a bit less than 2x5 so glad I didn't get 4ft!

Yes, piggy will love it :D and more shelter for him too if it's cold while still having loads of room! :love: he'll be so happy :D I imagine the 4ft would have been 2ft bed, 2ft main :shock: and one unhappy bunny :lol:

You have made me wanna get my hutch up and ready. And from what Nats at the rescue said, she doesn't think Sam and Pop will take a week to bond. So better get on it tomorrow. :D.

I know it's only temporary but there isn't much room for many hops in there, would definately lose one of the litter trays.

Has she got a run?

Yeah maybe, iv come home tonight and had a look at how she's 'arranged' things and she has actually used the tray in bed as litter tray and eaten all the hay in that rack where as the other is untouched! Wish I'd read this half an hr ago as iv just cleaned summer and Skye's hutch and thought I wish I'd bought another of those trays... :lol: I'll go and take it out now and top up her hay. Just watching summer and Skye in the garden through the patio doors. Need to bring the run panels down from Heidi's indoor cage and construct her a half decent run to use instead of the triangle one. Bless her she's just watching summer and Skye running around, didn't want to stress her out again by putting her in the run when she's just getting used to being outside, maybe tomorro...

Looks brilliant :thumb: she's sitting there like ""erm.. excuse me hoomin' mummy but my hay ball seems to be empty.. there is no greenery in there.. isn't that your job?!" :lol:

Back