• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would you take this chance?

Fennic

Warren Scout
Theres a rabbit in my area (cheshire/NW England), the typical by the sounds of it "hutch in back garden can't be bothered with it anymore because it bit my kid syndrome" The rabbit is supposedly a he, 1 years old and tiny and labeled a biter. I've not seen the rabbit but it was offered to me through another person. I'm a first time rabbit owner. Had my rescue girl given to me a few months ago, since then shes been spayed, vaccinated (VHD and Myxi) I've never witnessed an introduction and i'd be terrified to do it myself. I would also like to get her a husband though, I have no transportation to take her to rescues myself for any bonding sessions with males. (I have no idea if any would do a pick up service, I somehow doubt it though) I don't think this rabbit, if a male is netured/vacc'd either. Would you guys consider that sort of risk?

Well, think what you would do if it didnt work out. If you can afford to give them each a friend if they dont bond, then yes, I would. If not, you really need to have a backup plan before taking him.

I couldn't afford 4 rabbits no. I hadn't thought of that i'm glad you mentioned it. Two seperate would still defeat the object also I believe.

I couldn't afford 4 rabbits no. I hadn't thought of that i'm glad you mentioned it. Two seperate would still defeat the object also I believe.

Yes it would, but you will have that risk with any bun you get, the advantage of rescues being that they will usually take the bun back if they dont bond, and let you try another.

If you want to take on this bun, perhaps you could arrange with a rescue that you will neuter and vaccinate the bun, and then try to bond him to yours, but that if it doesnt work out you will give the bun to the rescue in return for one of their bucks to try with yours. But they may not agree, or you may get very attached to the boy.

Alternatively, if it doesnt work out you could take on a rescue boy whilst you try to rehome your buck yourself?

The problem is, you wont know whether this bun is compatible with your own until a couple of months after he is neutered - if the owner wishes to rehome him perhaps they would be willing to neuter him first so that you can then find out if he is compatible with your girl?

I'll have to meet with them first and see how it all is. I can only hope they feed him on hay and pellets not wood shavings and muslei. I do feel that they may see it as "I want rid of it, why should I spend money on it for neturing?" Sort of thing though. :\

Hello! Yes, I would take the chance :) Sounds like you could give him a good life. It may be worth doing as others have said with regards to contacting rescues etc.

I am like you, terrified of bonding myself but I was lucky enough to meet a lovely woman through the rescue I got my boy from who is visiting my house daily to facilitate the bonding sessions. Maybe a local rescue could put you in touch with someone?

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

Back