• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Claw clipping went wrong :(

*Funny*Bunny*

Warren Veteran
I've cut Harvey's claws loads of times but this time his nails seemed even darker than usual. I cut his last front claw to be done and he flinched and then I saw loads of blood :( I made him bleed :( it has stopped bleeding now and he seems ok. Keeps washing it alot :( he's walking around ok, will eat treats if I give them to him and doesn't seem too upset.

Is there anything I need to do for him? Is it possible he could get shock or anything later or stop eating? I want to bandage it up to prevent infection but I know he'd rip straight through that :(

Now I have to do Lilly's claws.... Really worried as Harvey is the easy one as he sits still and yet I still hurt him :(

Oh dear, I think it's happened to all of us. As long as it's just the end of the nail that is bleeding just make sure it stays clean and doesn't get infected. I wouldn't put a dressing on him as you say it wouldn't last very long.

I know it happens to most people eventually I was just hoping I'd be lucky enough for it to never happen to me :p

He just ran away from me with a look of fear in his eyes for the first time ever :( but after a cuddle and nose rub he seems less wary of me :) keeping them indoors to check on him for an hour or so.

Did Lilly's claws and for the first time ever she was really still :shock: and then she was quite snuggly which is very unlike her :shock: maybe she was saying thank you for clipping her claws :lol:

Harvey just flopped so he can't be in that much pain :)

I know it happens to most people eventually I was just hoping I'd be lucky enough for it to never happen to me :p

He just ran away from me with a look of fear in his eyes for the first time ever :( but after a cuddle and nose rub he seems less wary of me :) keeping them indoors to check on him for an hour or so.

Did Lilly's claws and for the first time ever she was really still :shock: and then she was quite snuggly which is very unlike her :shock: maybe she was saying thank you for clipping her claws :lol:

Harvey just flopped so he can't be in that much pain :)

This happened to my Sonic a few weeks back, I was shocked and upset with myself for hurting him! I gave his paw a quick swish in a small pot of water, which probably didn't do anything, and it was just after I had cleaned out his hutch, so he had fresh bedding to stand on. I looked at it the next day and couldn't even tell that it had been bleeding the day before. Just keep an eye on it, but it should be fine :) And he's forgiven me, so don't worry about that either!

I've cut Harvey's claws loads of times but this time his nails seemed even darker than usual. I cut his last front claw to be done and he flinched and then I saw loads of blood :( I made him bleed :( it has stopped bleeding now and he seems ok. Keeps washing it alot :( he's walking around ok, will eat treats if I give them to him and doesn't seem too upset.

Is there anything I need to do for him? Is it possible he could get shock or anything later or stop eating? I want to bandage it up to prevent infection but I know he'd rip straight through that :(

Now I have to do Lilly's claws.... Really worried as Harvey is the easy one as he sits still and yet I still hurt him :(

pets at home do a dusting powder for small wounds to help heal and prevent infections, they make one esp for bunnies, i would keep some in house just in case something happens like this again and you can just put some on the end of the claw, it happens to all of us at some point x

pets at home do a dusting powder for small wounds to help heal and prevent infections, they make one esp for bunnies, i would keep some in house just in case something happens like this again and you can just put some on the end of the claw, it happens to all of us at some point x

Thanks I'll get some in, I pressed flour into it. I think I've read cornflour can stop the bleeding, but we only had regular flour in... The bleeding did stop soon after but that may have happened regardless of the flour application :p

Tbh Harvey didn't seem in pain, he was jumping about on the paw straight away, he was more bothered that he'd got blood on his pristine white paws :roll: he's also forgiven me as he is back pestering for nose rubs :love:

Does anyone know if rabbits can get spooked by the smell/sight of another rabbit's blood? Since the incident Lilly has been really cuddly and clingy to me (when normally she hates being picked up), even been asking to be held :? I'm wondering if she smelt hurt rabbit (I did see her sniffing at a drop of blood) and get worried and just wanted some comfort/protection, it's SO unlike her, she also gets scared when I pick Harvey up to check him which is odd for her :) anyone else experienced this with their buns?

corn flour works wonders!! ive done it afew times

and the other week grayson completely torn a naill off!!

corn flour works wonders!! ive done it afew times

and the other week grayson completely torn a naill off!!

Ouch!!! Poor Grayson! How did he manage that one? I was surprised at the amount of blood that came out from a tiny claw, although it probably was only a few drops in total it felt like a lot though!

He'll be ok - Charlie ripped one of his claws out the other day and I panicked too. Blood and I worried that the shock/pain would make him go into stasis... He limped off and on for about a day and then he was totally fine.

They've both broken claws before too and when it's only been a break to the quick they haven't even limped. I felt awful though, it's scary to see your babies bleeding!

Wow claw ripping sounds terrifying! Although it does seem all these incidents are more scary for us than them :p they seem to just get on with life :lol:

Ouch!!! Poor Grayson! How did he manage that one? I was surprised at the amount of blood that came out from a tiny claw, although it probably was only a few drops in total it felt like a lot though!

I have noo idea!! he is accident prone!! hes has weekly falls and stumbles lol

Back