• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I've just given Flossie a heart attack

I'm so sorry, that must be really traumatic for you. Please don't blame yourself. You were looking after her by cleaning her. Even though you didn't know it, she must have been extremely fragile to have gone like that - she could have gone at any time.

OMG :shock:

I am so very sorry :cry:

It is highly likely that she had a previously undiagnosed heart condition

Was Flossie a Rex by any chance

I know that you must feel absolutely awful, but such a tragedy could happen to any of us. Not cleaning her up could have led to Flystrike. So whilst there is obviously no way to make tis 'OK' for you, for Flossie a quick passing has to be 'better' than a slow one as a result of Flystrike

You were trying to help her. It was a tragic event that occurred :cry:

Oh no, I'm so so sorry :cry: It wasn't your fault, as Bunny Buddy said she must have been very fragile for that to happen. Binky free Flossie xx

Oh my god :shock: How awful :cry: I'm so sorry. Please don't blame yourself, you were doing the right thing by cleaning her. It's not your fault at all xx

:cry::cry::cry: How tragic.

Don't blame yourself. Sounds very unlikely washing her bottom caused her to pass away. I know they don't like it (I had a bunny I used to bottom wash), but they do know their owners and they know you are not harming him.

As Jane and Bunny Buddy said she could have had an underlying illness.

If you didn't wash her bottom, the risk of flystrike in this hot summer would have been worse.

I really hope you will be ok, you must be in shock.

OMG no :shock::cry: How utterly tragic, what a horrible shock for you. I don't even know what to say :cry: But as others have said it wasn't your fault, it couldn't have been. There was most lilkely and underlying cause for this hun, don't blame yourself :(

Thank you for all your kind words, I just feel so bad :cry: maybe I should of noticed she wasn't quite right or maybe the water was too cold. She just suddenly went limp and blue in my arms i layed her down she twitched a couple of times and then died :cry:

Thank you for all your kind words, I just feel so bad :cry: maybe I should of noticed she wasn't quite right or maybe the water was too cold. She just suddenly went limp and blue in my arms i layed her down she twitched a couple of times and then died :cry:

When a bunny dies on you suddenly you do blame yourself, that is natural. It can be so difficult to tell when something is wrong. They hide their pain so well.

Last year Sunshine died in my arms so understand how painful it is.

My Bridge Bun Daisy had numerous health problems and had to have her bottom bathed most days in the summer. She tolerated it. If you have a bun who can't clean themselves you have no choice but to do it for them. Flystrike is horrendous - Daisy had that once but luckily survived as I caught it so early.

If I had to choose whether to have a bun die quickly of a heart attack or slowly from flystrike I would definitely pick the former. A dreadful shock for you - Munchkin died suddenly while I was stroking her earlier this year - but a much more peaceful death for a bunny.

I have probably worded this all wrong but I am trying to say that you haven't done anything wrong. You were doing your best for Flossie - and that is all any of us can do for our buns.

How utterly heartbroken you must be, I'm so sorry :(

Like everyone before me has said, you were doing the right thing and mustn't blame yourself.

Big Hugs xxx

i am sorry for your loss, and for the shock you have had.
it may be that your little one was just waiting for you to be close before she let go - people do that - and as people have suggested, she could have already been ill.
you were doing your very best to make sure she was well-cared for, and she must have known that.

How absoloutely awful for you.:cry:
So sorry it ended this way. But it could have been so much worse for her.
I hope you dont blame yourself too much for this. It wasnt your fault, it was just her time.:(

Back