• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can you tell a rabbits age?

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
Alice came from the RSPCA and was a stray, but they have told us shes about 2 years old.
How do they know?

They don't, they guess. I asked FHB about this a while back regarding Scarlet and she said if there is no history (i.e the rabbit was dumped) once it is over a year or so you can't really put an age on it. Teeth etc. are no indicator and it's just a guess. We have no idea how old Scarlet is at all really.

The rescue near me has the vet guesstimate. She does go by the rabbit's size,weight and teeth. She will usually say under one year or between 2 and 5 or over 5.

Similat to the post above boris who I found as a stray has been estimated at anywhere between 2-6 years

I think the claws may give a bit of a clue.
Lovely neat claws mean young:?
Yellowed twisted claws mean older (maybe over 5)
But like everyone says there is no way of telling for sure, so guessing the age by claws is my own wild guess:?

We questimate based on teeth, appearance and how they act, but we tend to just say 'adult' but on places like RR you have to give an age- so I just mostly make it up :lol:

(also, I have a lot of bunnies over 5 and all have nails the same as the younger ones (around 2-3) so I personally wouldn't take nails as a guidance but it can be a guindance as to whether a bunny has been neglected or not sometimes).

Back