• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Re- bonding rabbits and one scared of the other !

Zara.

New Kit
Hi everyone :)

My male rabbit George a couple of weeks ago visited and had stayed overnight due to some issues with his gut. So my other female rabbit; Katie was alone for a day :( It was when we brought him back home that their behavior towards each other completely changed, as if they didn't know each other. it was from some advise from this forum that i'd realised their bond had broken because of George picking up a different smell!

so the past couple of days i've been trying to re- bond them. I've repeated all the methods of trying to bond them and they are licking each other :) theres no more biting. however George who used to be the very dominant and had an almost " prince like attitude ;) " seems to be scared of Katie, as soon has she comes towards him he runs for his life. I'm completely baffled as to why?!?!

would appreciate any advice :)

You may need to try putting them in a neutral confined space to force them to be together and not escape from one another. The bathtub is a good place to do this (or a small dog crate if you have one). I was having this problem with Flora and Benji but as soon as I put them into a small crate, they started to groom each other as the choice to move to the furthest corner of their enclosure was taken away.

Given that yours are already grooming each other, I shouldn't think this will be too much of a problem.

You may need to try putting them in a neutral confined space to force them to be together and not escape from one another. The bathtub is a good place to do this (or a small dog crate if you have one). I was having this problem with Flora and Benji but as soon as I put them into a small crate, they started to groom each other as the choice to move to the furthest corner of their enclosure was taken away.

Given that yours are already grooming each other, I shouldn't think this will be too much of a problem.

thanks for the reply :)

I've put them both in the bathtub quite a few times now and its amazing how quickly things have changed. they dont nip each other anymore and seem to be ok with each others company, still a tad wary of each other but nothing major :D

Back