• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

cat and bunny? stray cat is at home!

Tonya

Alpha Buck
From a few weeks I am observing a very beautiful stray cat, all gray, extremely intelligent and good with people....so I started thinking about getting him home. But I have Chrisi, we live in an apartment so I am not sure if they will get along fine-Chrisi isn't really good with other animals. I am afraid that it may stress her and that she will feel worse. On the other side I will start working full time very soon, so I won't be at home for the biggest part of the day. Chrisi is ok with that, she likes her calm but will the cat be? I am really unsure, on the other side it is a really special kitty...really beautiful and we get along fine, people from the building take care of it and I've been told it's homeless so I can take it. What do you think?

Last edited:
From a few weeks I am observing a very beautiful stray cat, all gray, extremely intelligent and good with people....so I started thinking about getting him home. But I have Chrisi, we live in an apartment so I am not sure if they will get along fine-Chrisi isn't really good with other animals. I am afraid that it may stress her and that she will feel worse. On the other side I will start working full time very soon, so I won't be at home for the biggest part of the day. Chrisi is ok with that, she likes her calm but will the cat be? I am really unsure, on the other side it is a really special kitty...really beautiful and we get along fine, people from the building take care of it and I've been told it's homeless so I can take it. What do you think?

Whatever you do, don't leave the bun and the cat out when you're not at home to watch them :)

My experience;

One of my mums cats couldn't care less about a rabbit and the other one is very curious but cautious and runs away any time a bun comes near!!
It's so cute but I do recommend makin sure they are always supervised

It completely depends on the animals in question, no one can predict it.

My rabbits and cats get on fine (supervised), I know there are also many on here who have rabbits who do not like cats.

My cats are fine being left alone all day, they just sleep. My boyfriends cat hates to be left alone for more than a few hours. All very very different!

It's completely down to the cat and the bun. My youngest cat used to be fantastic with my house bun I used to have, he would follow me or her, they were just great friends. My other two cats weren't that interested, they just stayed out the way and had a sniff occasionally.
I just wouldn't leave them unsupervised for the first few months :)

I have eleven bunnies and eight cats and they all get on fine. I work long hours so they are unsupervised.

I do think it's important that the bunnies have a cat free bolt hole though. The cats can just climb to escape but the bunnies do need somewhere the cat can't reach.

My mum has 2 bunnies and a cat and they all love each other :love:
They run about together, play with toys at the same time and snuggle up together.

My mum is disabled so home 99% of the time so they are supervised, if she does happen to go out then they are kept seperate just in case because even though they get along great she can just never risk something happening while she's not there.

Our rabbit and cat do fine together. When we leave the house the bunny is locked up for safety. But she roams my daughters room freely at other times. If that cat even thinks he can try and take a snooze on daughters bed, he has another thought coming! Melody (bunny) immediately jumps up and chases him right out of the room! :lol:

It doesn't always work well. Even with a cat as good as gold fluke things can happen- my fluke was that my cat groomed my bunny unsupervised (and unknown) and then swiped him. He died the next day.

I have 7 buns and currently 17 cat/kittens they all get on fine! Matilda and grayson free range with the 9 kittens+ 3 of the other cats, never had a problem, but its totally down to the cat and rabbit!

I have 4 cats and 2 outdoor rabbits that free range when we are home.

My original rabbits were bigger than our cats cos I was worried about having little rabbits with cats.

My current rabbits weigh about 1.5kilo so are smaller than my cats.

My youngest cat regularly, like nearly daily goes and gets in the hutch in the bunny shed and has to be turfed out at bedtime. She not bothered if the rabbits are with her or she sleeps alone. she has spent the odd night shut in with the rabbits when we havent realised she was there.

I have recently got a new cat, hes 11 and he was curious at first till the rabbits put him in his place, now he know the rabbits rule.

when we eat at the table in the garden, the cats and rabbits sit underneath waiting for what gets 'dropped' off our plates.

We have had times in the past were cats and rabbits have been asleep together on the rug in the house.

I have been lucky and never had a bad experience. Bit like putting dogs and cats together some work some dont.

If you dont take the cat in, please consider taking it to a rescue so it can get the loving home it deserves.

My cats and bunnies get on fine, I often find the cat has sneaked in to the bunny run and curled up in the hay they are free range in garden and house while I'm there never had any issues......cat even cuddles up to the bunnies given the chance.

My cat is scared of my rabbit, but you can't blame him, he was attacked by my first hormonal rabbit, then the second one I got always chased him in the garden if she saw him. My current one isn't bothered, but the cat isn't taking any chances!

Ok I took the cat.Couldn't look at it outside anymore. The cat and the bunny haven't interacted, I first need to do the vet checks, clean and de-flea the cat, which we named Bobard. We decided that we keep him for now and if there are problems with the bunny we'll foster-home him till we find someone that can look after him without having problems.But for now he just lies on the bed and cuddles.What a sweety he is!

Last edited:
I suppose that this is some normal behavior for a cat that doesn't know the environment yet, but he lies always where I left him last. And once I get close to him he starts purring and pumping me with his legs. He is now fluffy, washed, de-flead and got the thing for internal parasites. The night he was hiding under the furniture. And he already used the cat toilet!:)

well today i left the door separating them open, but none seems interested enough to go and meet the other:)the cat is like 4 kilos, the bunny is 1.7.How weird it will be if christina humps Bobard:)

Back