• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Looking after a dog but my buns scared of him! Advice!!

Trixielover

Mama Doe
I'm looking after my aunts dog but last time my aunt's dog came to stay, Domino was whimpering and was scared stiff! :( Any advice? Ziggy (dog) is not violent, he just wants to play, but he is scaring my little bun!:?

I'm looking after my aunts dog but last time my aunt's dog came to stay, Domino was whimpering and was scared stiff! :( Any advice? Ziggy (dog) is not violent, he just wants to play, but he is scaring my little bun!:?

You need to keep the dog and the Rabbit completely out of sight and smell of each other. Rabbits are prey animals. If unused to dogs they will be absolutely terrified :cry: This could lead to you have a very poorly Rabbit :cry:

So, 100% separation IMO

You need to keep the dog and the Rabbit completely out of sight and smell of each other. Rabbits are prey animals. If unused to dogs they will be absolutely terrified :cry: This could lead to you have a very poorly Rabbit :cry:

So, 100% separation IMO

I can't really because Domino is in the garden and ziggy needs to go out to do his 'business'. So should i just cover Domino's run so they cant see eachother.

I can't really because Domino is in the garden and ziggy needs to go out to do his 'business'. So should i just cover Domino's run so they cant see eachother.

Simply the scent of the dog could drive the rabbits senses crazy and stress bun out to the point he/she becomes ill.

Jane's right, the only real way if to keep them 100% seperate. Without that, you are risking his health.

couldn't you just let ziggy out in the front garden and give a few more quick walks during the day so he can do his 'business' then? presuming of course domino lives in the back garden :)

When I first brought home my puppy, my rabbits lived in my room. When they first met the puppy was as scared of the rabbits as the rabbits were scared of him :lol: They were hiding for a few hours, but then, within the same day, they started to get used to him. After a day or two they couldn't care less about him.

If your rabbit is really really scared of him, you could try to let him get used to the scent, like putting out a blanket that smells of dog. Don't let the dog go over to the rabbit if the rabbit clearly doesn't like it. Keep a distance.

You could also take the dog on a short walk when he needs to do his busniness instead of letting him in the garden.

yep he can go in the front garden rather than the back if he needs to go. Keep him away from the rabbits and change your clothes before you go outside to see them :wave:

Back