• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My day at Greenwich Park watching the Dressage yesterday....

Fluffers

Wise Old Thumper
What a truly amazing day :D:D From the moment we arrived at Greenwich station and throughout the 20 min walk to the park the atmosphere was electric. The streets were lined with bunting & red, white & blue flowers, everyone was smiling, volunteers couldn't do enough to help and were singing and dancing :D:D It was a like being in a theme park or at a huge carnival, so hard to put into words but simply wonderful :love::love:

Anyone can visit Greenwich - you don't need tickets for an event, you certainly don't need to be horsey and to be honest just sitting on the grass outside of the arena & over looking the Thames (with thousands of others) was very special indeed. There were stalls everywhere, beer tents etc, just like being at a free festival! Of course it helped that the sun was shining ;) In fact it was a tad too hot (no shade in the stands) but I know we shouldn't complain :oops::lol:

The event itself was jaw dropping and Charlotte winning gold was just the icing on the cake :thumb:

Here are some pics & a couple of vids from my very memorable day :love:

20120809_122518.jpg

Can you see the over head camera on the wire? I was well impressed with this, seeing it whizz back and forth all day kept me amused :lol:
20120809_122828.jpg

Here's the camera whizzing along! Clicky

The arena :D Clicky

Charlotte receiving gold - you may want to turn the sound down for this (& it's not me screaming!!)!!!

Last edited:
I was soooo lucky to get tickets, was :shock: when we heard. We applied for 5 events and got tickets for two :D:D My OH is going to see the Mountain Biking on Sunday in Southend :D I didn't go anywhere near the Olympic Park so really can't imagine how amazing that is :shock: Might try for some Paralympic tickets :D

Last edited:
:love: So jealous. Looking absolutely stunning.

Mum lives in Blackheath, right next to Greenwich, I really should go over and see it all. I know we can't see the events but the buzzing feeling would be great. Greenwich and its historic buildings are beautiful. :love:

:love: So jealous. Looking absolutely stunning.

Mum lives in Blackheath, right next to Greenwich, I really should go over and see it all. I know we can't see the events but the buzzing feeling would be great. Greenwich and its historic buildings are beautiful. :love:

They sure are :thumb: Not an area I've ever thought about visiting - but I will now!!! :love:

They sure are :thumb: Not an area I've ever thought about visiting - but I will now!!! :love:

My son grew up around Greenwich and we used to go to the park every weekend. One of my favourite pubs is on the river, The Trafalgar. They used it once for filming some of Inspector Morse. Charles Dickens was said to frequent the pub.

You have the markets on the weekend. There is the Cutty Sark and the Maritime Muesum. There once stood Greenwich Palace where Henry VIII was born. Somewhere in the park is a fallen over tree that Elizabeth I played under.

Lord Nelson was laid out in the Naval College Chapel there, which is now Greenwich University.

There is a very quaint building that looks like a convent built in 1616, as a retirement place for old sea farers, or something similiar.

Many episodes of The Bill were filmed around Greenwich.

Its a very interesting area.

My son grew up around Greenwich and we used to go to the park every weekend. One of my favourite pubs is on the river, The Trafalgar. They used it once for filming some of Inspector Morse. Charles Dickens was said to frequent the pub.

You have the markets on the weekend. There is the Cutty Sark and the Maritime Muesum. There once stood Greenwich Palace where Henry VIII was born. Somewhere in the park is a fallen over tree that Elizabeth I played under.

Lord Nelson was laid out in the Naval College Chapel there, which is now Greenwich University.

There is a very quaint building that looks like a convent built in 1616, as a retirement place for old sea farers, or something similiar.

Many episodes of The Bill were filmed around Greenwich.

Its a very interesting area.

Wonderful! We went into the Cutty Sark visitor centre - amazing :shock::thumb: Def need to return!

Wonderful! We went into the Cutty Sark visitor centre - amazing :shock::thumb: Def need to return!

Gosh I noticed you had to travel a long way to get there.

I haven't seen the Cutty Sark since it was renovated. Took years and they had the fire that caused a lot of damage.

Those building behind the dressage arena where built for Queen Anne I believe. Always reminds me of a smaller Versailles.

Gosh I noticed you had to travel a long way to get there.

I haven't seen the Cutty Sark since it was renovated. Took years and they had the fire that caused a lot of damage.

Those building behind the dressage arena where built for Queen Anne I believe. Always reminds me of a smaller Versailles.

Well I just happen to have a couple of piccies ;)

20120809_114009.jpg

20120809_113845.jpg

The second pic is taken from inside the visitor centre :shock: :thumb:

I think it was around £10 per adult to go in and look around properly. It looked fascinating though and worth the entry fee :D

I spent some time admiring the beautiful buildings as they were opposite the stand we were in :thumb: A truly stunning back drop to the arena :love:

Wow they have done a stunning renovation. :love:

The Catty Sark used to sit in this deep concrete pit. There was nothing but a simple railing around it. I remember the officers cabins were all oak but very very tiny. In the hull was a collection of the heads/fronts of other ships. I am sure there is a word for it but can't think what it is.

£10 is not bad. It wasn't cheap years ago.

Back