• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What causes many gas episodes??

smudgiebun

Alpha Buck
Well we're assuming it's gas. It's a trip to the vets this morning I think.

Chewie was suddenly unwell late Wednesday night (hunching, pressing belly to floor, etc.) but we know he had recently eaten so we monitored him with an aim to take him to the vets if not better first thing next morning. He was fine at 3am, eating hay, etc. then fine at 7am eating his nuggets.

This morning he was back to looking unwell again and while he has nibbled some nuggets, he is not interested in hay and has been doing the belly pressing thing again and just looks uncomfortable.

What could be causing this to happen twice in such a short period of time?? We're wondering if it's the veggies we're feeding as apparently cauliflower, watercress and kale are "gassy". So we did not feed ANY veg last night and he still got ill :( They are also shedding a lot.

When we had rabbits as a child I NEVER saw this and they were kept in hutches outside, fed muesli-style food, and probably did not get enough hay or exercise!!

Just wondering what other people think before I phone the vets this morning.

EDIT: Now he's bouncing around and eating his nuggets. What the heck?!? So I assume whatever it is has passed, but I don't think it's good he keeps getting this so still a vet trip methinks...

Last edited:
Well we're assuming it's gas. It's a trip to the vets this morning I think.

Chewie was suddenly unwell late Wednesday night (hunching, pressing belly to floor, etc.) but we know he had recently eaten so we monitored him with an aim to take him to the vets if not better first thing next morning. He was fine at 3am, eating hay, etc. then fine at 7am eating his nuggets.

This morning he was back to looking unwell again and while he has nibbled some nuggets, he is not interested in hay and has been doing the belly pressing thing again and just looks uncomfortable.

What could be causing this to happen twice in such a short period of time?? We're wondering if it's the veggies we're feeding as apparently cauliflower, watercress and kale are "gassy". So we did not feed ANY veg last night and he still got ill :( They are also shedding a lot.

When we had rabbits as a child I NEVER saw this and they were kept in hutches outside, fed muesli-style food, and probably did not get enough hay or exercise!!

Just wondering what other people think before I phone the vets this morning.

EDIT: Now he's bouncing around and eating his nuggets. What the heck?!? So I assume whatever it is has passed, but I don't think it's good he keeps getting this so still a vet trip methinks...

You're right about those veg causing gas.

Not sure how many pellets you feed? If more than eggcupful once a day, I would very gradually reduce to this, and up the hay (perhaps try different types). Hay should form 80-90% of the diet to keep teeth and gut in good order.

Can't give any other advice, I'm afraid.

Yeah they only have half an eggcup each, and unlimited hay!

He's actually been doing bunny 500s and binkies all over the living room, he's finished his nuggets and is now eating hay - I guess he feels better??

Wondering if it's even worth a vet trip now!

We defo need to do more research on veggies now as this has happened loads to both rabbits this year.

Yeah they only have half an eggcup each, and unlimited hay!

He's actually been doing bunny 500s and binkies all over the living room, he's finished his nuggets and is now eating hay - I guess he feels better??

Wondering if it's even worth a vet trip now!

We defo need to do more research on veggies now as this has happened loads to both rabbits this year.

Herbs are usually popular - as long as you avoid chives and not too much parsley. Mine love all of them!

We had this problem with Rupert earlier in the year, took him to vet, and she said spring grass (but obviously its not spring at the moment)... but I think it was spring greens and burgess apple snacks that did it.

If it happens again, give infacol, and gently get bunny moving / give a tummy massage (but i read that doing this can make it worse) infacol works amazingly well! Also, the gas can get trapped if they're moulting and ingesting alot of fur - mix pellets with boiling water and a teaspoon of pure sunflower oil, and let cool - the sunflower oil helps unloosen any lumps of fur (and my bunny LOVES IT) - brown bread toasted with pur sunflower spread works too.... this is what the emergency vet recommended to us.... i won't now give them spring greens or apple snacks tho

Back