• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Torn with what to do.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
We have 6 single rabbits now
1. Snowball, who lost his mum on sunday.
2. Molly, who lost Thumper a couple of months ago.
3. Katie, who had never been bonded, but is spayed.
4. Daisy, Katie's daughter who was too fat on arrival to spay but about ready now.
5. Noodle, who is 7, unspayed and i suspect may have a mammary tumour?
6. Sparrow, a year old Wilde, who is small sp I need to check the vet is happy to spay.

I'm really not sure what to do about bondings, over the next few months the unspayed girls will be done. I want to try Snowball with Molly as they have both been bonded before and I find those who have already been bonded easier to do again.

But otherwise I have no idea what to do next- who to put with whom. Sparrow is tiny compared to the others but a live wire.

Any ideas?

I have no real idea but when I collected Cutie-pie from a rescue she was not spayed, Sunshine was neutered and their bond was successful. I did get her spayed soon after I got her. She never humped or anything like that.

I am not great on advice. Sending successful bonding vibes. xxx

To add, we have 4 pairs-
1. Runt and Betsy- new and very close.
2. Mallow and Sorrell- 2 girls, living tigether but not as close as the others.
3. Oddeye and Treacle- very close but Treacle has a large kidney stone and us nearly 9.
4. Snowy and Milly- Milly has complications due to E.c and some indications of renal failure ( initial bloods showed signs but later bloods were normal.)

I have no real idea but when I collected Cutie-pie from a rescue she was not spayed, Sunshine was neutered and their bond was successful. I did get her spayed soon after I got her. She never humped or anything like that.

I am not great on advice. Sending successful bonding vibes. xxx

Thanks, we had neutered males with unspayed females for years without any issues between the pairs, but I think it will be different with 2 unspayed females ( even spayd females) because it looks like my options are 2 more girl bonds!

Thanks, we had neutered males with unspayed females for years without any issues between the pairs, but I think it will be different with 2 unspayed females ( even spayd females) because it looks like my options are 2 more girl bonds!

Oh dear. Sounds complicated. Are 2 girls worst than 2 boys ? I have seen same sex bonds on RU.

True, and given that I've spent the last half hour wondering why Daisy has been thumping outside our window, only to finally move Wicket and herself into small hutches inside for tonight, just to stop them stressing- perhaps a big group would be a good idea!

My group has worked well. I only bonded them out of necessity when moving. Originally the group was 2 neutered males, 2 neutered females and 5 unneutered females. One of the neutered females went to the bridge. They where together 3 months no problems then I've had 2 of the girls neutered 2 weeks ago. I kept them segregated for 5 days and they integrated back in to the group no problems. I will be looking to have another one of the girls neutered in the next 2 weeks and potentially my single male if he gets the all clear from the vet for an anesthetic. Unless he's rehomed before he's had his 6 weeks post op I'll try bonding him in to the group.

Yeah I was going to say try one big group, if it doesn't work at least you can see who gets on with who? I know nothing about bonding though! :lol:

Kath made me giggle! I suppose she's right in a way... You could try them all in neutral territory and see who suits who the most?

Otherwise... I have no idea! But good luck! :D

I don't have the spare time to try and bond a large group, also with Snowy needing extra grooming, Milly having regular dentals, Treacle having kidney stones and a wildie who is a third of the size of the others, I suspect it may be quite complicated!

I don't have the spare time to try and bond a large group, also with Snowy needing extra grooming, Milly having regular dentals, Treacle having kidney stones and a wildie who is a third of the size of the others, I suspect it may be quite complicated!

personally we have found that wildies have quite specific likes/dislikes - and ony one of our wildies bonded with a domestic - that was Pippin who was hand reared - all the others nip the domestics - and Pippin nips all other buns other than Pansy and his two wildie companios -

we have the 3 wildies and Pansy together.

re the rest - tbh I would do a big bond of all singles as well and see who seems to like who and go from there .

try putting your calmest doe with the wildie, thats what i did with my rabbits and eventually my lionhead does's good temperement rubbed off on him, they were inseperable, always cuddling up :)

My wildie is in charge of my group

The time saved in cleaning is ace in a group - plus bonding is just the same as a pair - sometimes easier as buns are a bit overwhelmed - I'd have a bigger group - but I've kept two pairs out of it as one of the buns is aggressive & I'd lose my ankles & the other isn't 100% healthy

Thanks for the input. The difference is that I do slow bonding as opposed to fast bonding, not sure if that makes a difference, the largest group I've done in a trio. My first rabbit was a wildie and bonded with 2 entire females many years ago. Sparrow, has been running alongside Daisy and I've often found them lying side by side in their runs, still I suspect a female may be more difficult than a male and best bonded to a male. I basically have a male shortage! I debating trios, of one male to 2 females which has worked well in the past.

I guess it's a case of try it and see!

Back