• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lethargic rabbit, small appetite, help please!

sierra*323

Mama Doe
I have a feeling my Mum's rabbit might be going into stasis and could do with some advice. My Dad just called, Mum went to let Alice out this morning and had to actually wake her up. She is snacking but not eating her usual amount.

My first question was whether she is pooing ok but Dad doesn't really know what is normal for her, Mum looks after her and cleans her out (she is in work now). My own experience of stasis is tiny poos and sitting hunched, so I wondered if she was in pain, but I haven't heard of a rabbit needing physically waking up before!

I suggested a vet trip, and lots and lots of hay, but it's difficult when it's not your rabbit. If it was one of mine I'd cut the pellets to encourage more hay eating but Alice eats more grass than hay, and her poos are not normally big and golden.

Anyway, Dad is feeling encouraged as he went to put her back in this evening and she ran away (which she usually does for him), he thinks she is improving but he rang me for advice as he says Mum is too stubborn!

Mum has a dental/hospital appointment tomorrow that's a big deal for her so I'm not sure how soon Alice will be able to get to the vet. What can I suggest to help her?

She should really have gone to the vets this morning. I would tell your Dad that if she is still not eating much that she needs a vet now as it will be unlikely that she makes it until morning since she has already gone all day without vet treatment.

I know it's difficult, especially trying to get people to realise how dire a poorly rabbit needs a vet and getting them to pay the out of hours fees.

She should really have gone to the vets this morning. I would tell your Dad that if she is still not eating much that she needs a vet now as it will be unlikely that she makes it until morning since she has already gone all day without vet treatment.

I know it's difficult, especially trying to get people to realise how dire a poorly rabbit needs a vet and getting them to pay the out of hours fees.

:thumb:

If a bun starts slowing down, you can get there early before bun gets more poorly.

Thanks for your replies. I spoke to mum this morning, she said dad had exaggerated. Alice was definitely slowing down yesterday morning, I would have taken her in then, but by the time mum left for the night shift she was picking up already and this morning she was completely herself :)

They lost their previous rabbit to what I think was impaction? So dad is aware of how bad it can be if they stop eating and he got worried. Thankfully just a scare it seems :)

Glad she's ok. Sounds like your Dad is quite careful :) I would definitely tell them that if they think she slows down to take her to the vet asap. I'm sure you have already, though :)

Back