• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

playhouse questions!

rabbitpig

Young Bun
Hello, I have posted a couple of times now and always get good advice here so thanks!

I am in the process of converting a playhouse for my rabbits. So far have patched up some dog chews from the previous occupant (not mine by the way! We got it cheap off gumtree because it had a big hole chewed in the side!) Painted the outside and re done the roof felt also laid some slabs for the run.

Todays questions are...

We have ordered a run to fit the space and it is only going to be 8 x 3ft9 x 3 ft high. I was hoping for it to be 4 ft wide but its just not going to fit. Do you think its going to be big enough for 2medium/largish buns? The playhouse is 5x4 I feel bad because until now they have the run of most of the house and the whole front garden when I am in but because of their destructive tendancies and because they are relentless food thiefs, they are moving outside for their own safety. I can't help but feeling they are going to find it a bit cramped after all the freedom they are used to :(

Next is the issue of how they get into the run. It is to be attached to the playhouse and my OH getting a bit ahead of himself has randomly cut a hole in the side of the playhouse. I was planning on putting either a tunnel or a catflap for them to come through. I really wanted a tunnel to make it a bit more exciting but now I will have to go with anything I can find to fit the hole! Does anyone know what size the runaround connector thing is?

Finally, for now anyway, I bought some self adhesive vinyl floor tiles thinking I could just stick then straight onto the chipboard flooring but the packet says to use PVA adhesive solution if sticking to chipboard. When I looked at the PVA in the shop it says to keep away from pets but Google seems to say that its quite safe as point as they don't eat loads if it. Any ideas or suggestions for what else I could use?

Hi :wave: can't answer all ur questions but I can tell u that the runaround door for the pipe needs a 5" hole, either 5" square or 5" diameter circle, hope that helps :D

Ok thanks, I think the hole in our playhouse might be to big then, I will have to have a look for a catflap that will fit :)

Hi there. You can put lino on the floor. That's what I have on my 5 sheds. It's much easier to clean too. How big are your rabbits as this will decide whether you are giving them enough space.

Sorry, I didn't read it fully yesterday. I don't think that amount of space will be enough for medium/large rabbits. Can you extend the run to 12'?

Sorry, I didn't read it fully yesterday. I don't think that amount of space will be enough for medium/large rabbits. Can you extend the run to 12'?

I mean that they are largish medium sized rabbits although that probably doesn't make a lot of sense to anyone else! The larger of the 2 weighs nearly 4kg but is a little overweight so hopefully once outside and less likely to be eating huge amounts of toddler leftovers then she will weigh less!

I wanted the run originally to run down the other side of the garden and be 12 x 4 but my oh refused to cut down the trees that are in the way! So the only size that is going to fit the other way is 8x3ft9. The good bit about having it this way is they are right beside the house so I can keep an eye on them.

Im sure they will still be in the house all the time though and I will make sure they still get out in the front garden for a couple of hours a day. I suppose thats the best I can do for now...

Back